Can I install and buy a 500 gb internal for my Imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by snowisfun, Feb 4, 2008.

1. snowisfun macrumors newbie

I have a white imac with a 250 gb drive and I want to upgrade. Is it easy to install the new drive, and is anything with the same specs able to fit? If you have any links to some drives and or guides to installing that would be awesome.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Which white iMac? In About This Mac does it say Intel or PowerPC?

3. snowisfun thread starter macrumors newbie

its a 20 inch 2.16 ghz intel core duo, the last rev before the aluminums came out

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

It's doable but not easy - this may not be exactly what you'll see, but shows what you need to do.

I would say I'm technically proficient, but I'm hesitating about replacing my iMac's HDD. I don't think I'll buy another Mac that doesn't have an easily replaceable HDD, so that limits me to the MB or Mac Pro in future. That's about the only thing I can complain about with Macs - hard drives are going to fail and there's no excuse for making it hard to replace them.

The iMacs use standard SATA 3 1/2 inch drives so any one should work, but I hear that last year there were issues with some Seagate drives not getting enough power.

[Edit] Eldorian posted while I was looking for that link ...

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I can say the same. I'm very proficient at working with hardware but the iMac (Intel) makes me cringe. The same can be said about the iBook. Sure I can take them apart but they just aren't coming back together.

OP, it's entirely up to you to upgrade the internal hard drive. If you can get an Apple Certified Technician to do it or get a huge external hard drive with FireWire 400.

7. snowisfun thread starter macrumors newbie

wow that looks like quite the adventure, making me definitely have second thoughts about an internal

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

9. snowisfun thread starter macrumors newbie

supposedly

"It has come to my attention that Apple CANNOT void your warranty by replacing a user serviceable part such as the HD due to an FCC regulation. If we couldn’t replace the HD ourselves the manual would say “no user serviceable parts inside”"