Can I install iWork '09 on my new Mac even though it was on my old one?

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I just got the new 27" iMac and want to install my copy of iWork '09 on it. Do I need to somehow "deauthorize" it on my old Mac for it to install? It's a single user license so how does Apple regulate it from being installed on multiple Macs?

Also, if I give my old computer to a family member, can they still have that copy of iWork installed?

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
You can still install it fine, but it will be against Apple TOS
Is there a "right" way to do it? Why don't they just require you to "deauthorize" it on the old computer like you do for iTunes songs?

I don't want to get in trouble, and Apple should have some process in place for people who buy iWork and get a new Mac at a later date.

cromwell64

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
Is there a "right" way to do it? Why don't they just require you to "deauthorize" it on the old computer like you do for iTunes songs?

I don't want to get in trouble, and Apple should have some process in place for people who buy iWork and get a new Mac at a later date.
You would just delete the iwork applications from your old computer and install it on your new one. Apple won't come after you if you don't delete it though, but if you only paid for one license then you are only supposed to be using it on one machine.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
The Single Use Software License Agreement on the Apple website states
This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.
So you can legally install it on a new computer providing you have removed it from the old computer.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
The Single Use Software License Agreement on the Apple website states

So you can legally install it on a new computer providing you have removed it from the old computer.
Got it, thanks. Surprised they don't take more steps to prevent piracy. Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.