Can I Install OS 10.5.6 on my 10.4.11 iMac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gvcnyc, Jun 22, 2009.

1. gvcnyc macrumors newbie

Hi - I've done quite a bit of research on upgrading my iMac from os x 10.4.11 to os x 10.5.6, and still cannot figure out what I am supposed to do to install 10.5.6.

I get the infamous "cannot install software on this computer" when I try to boot the DVD.

This iMac OS X Install DVD came with another iMac I bought for my family. I want to update my 20" iMac with this software - I thought you could share amongst a family of computers. Is it that you can only install that software once? I will buy OS 10.5 Leopard no problem just want to be sure I will not waste money if my computer doesn't support Leopard. Basically I'd like to know if I bought Leopard (assuming I can't use my families disks) will it work on my computer?

Here are my computers specs:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 3 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz

I've read that you need 887 MHz, but is the Bus speed the same thing as processor speed?

I'm a Mac novice trying to make it work.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Also, I have the partition set up as GUID, and if necessary I have a separate hard drive.

Thanks!

2. LurchNC macrumors regular

The grey DVDs that come with your Mac are for that computer only. You need to purchase the retail version to install it on the Computer that came with Tiger. If you buy the "Family Pack" of the retail version you are allowed to install it on up to 5 computers in your household.

3. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

the discs that came with the iMac can only be used for the exact model of iMac... even with the same processor, etc. it may be a newer/older model...

4. gvcnyc thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks - that makes sense!

but given my computer's specs do you think i can install OS x Leopard on my iMac? i'm guessing my issue wasn't processor speed, just the fact i couldn't use the software from my other iMac on this iMac.

thanks for your advice!

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....the required specs for 10.5.x are easily available on Apple's website - your iMac meets those requirements easily and your 3GB of RAM should do just nicely for a moderate workload. And it is not just that the discs from the other Mac were made just for that Mac but also that the OS *license* is just for that single computer - having the disc does not mean you have a license to install anywhere and everywhere...oh yeah!

6. OZMP macrumors 6502

you need the retail DVD, not the OEM restore DVD from another machine. :cool:

7. bree05613 macrumors newbie

installing

i have the same imac, i just bought leopard 10.5.6 and i don't want to open it yet just incase the requirements don't fit with my computer. I'm not sure what the 867 Mhz is because i have a bus speed of 667 Mhz. Does that mean i can not install Leopard 10.5.6? If you installed Leopard then i probably can too. So how did your installation go?

8. redking31591 macrumors 6502

Yes you can very easily run leopard. The bus speed has nothing what so ever to do with the operating system. The bus speed is how fast the ram and the processor can talk. All intel macs can run leopard. Ignore the bus speed and only pay attention to the number followed by Ghz.

9. cainnovacaine macrumors regular

cainnovacaine

OS X works great, even on my Powerbook G4 867 proc (not even 1 Ghz) with 1 GB of RAM... It will work great on your iMac.

10. Tonyrage macrumors newbie

I got less specs than yours in my powerbook and im running Leopard nice and smooth. go ahead, buy Retail and enjoy.