Can I install OS X 10.6 on external HDD & run it on my rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anarchyinwa, Nov 10, 2012.

1. anarchyinwa macrumors newbie

I think the title of this post says it all!

I want to run Final Cut Pro 7 among other apps in Snow Leopard (10.6.8 - the last OS version it ran really well in) but on my Retina MacBook Pro. I want to partition a small USB3 external hard drive and run the OS off there.

I don't think I can install the OS on a partition of the rMBP's internal SSD drive, can I? And I can't use Parallels or similar software because I think Apple's license doesn't allow it or something.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    Will

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

That won't work, SL simply doesn't have the drivers it needs to run properly on the newer machine.

3. mrvectrex macrumors newbie

Well you can always go for osx86 on your macbook. They have HD 4000 and fermi drivers as well.

Good luck.

Cheers

4. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

LOL, I too was sort of shocked at the amount of drivers OSx86 has available!

5. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

Run Snow Leopard on your rMBPro by installing Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) into Parallels.

Full Snow Leopard installation instructions here:

NOTE: STEP ONE of the instructions must currently be completed on a Snow Leopard or Lion Mac and the resulting modified Snow Leopard.cdr install file can then be moved over to your Mountain Lion Mac for completion of the remaining steps.

NOTE 2: Computer games with complex, 3D or fast motion graphics make not work well or at all in virtualization.

Click on image to enlarge:

Attached Files: