Carrier Can I IUP a Verizon phone to use on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by irod87, Sep 25, 2016.

1. irod87 macrumors regular

Can I reserve and sign up for a new IUP program for a Verizon phone to use on my AT&T account or do they need/want to activate it on a Verizon account with Verizon account details?

2. DetTigers macrumors regular

3. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Redacted, don't know what I'm talking about with financing plans since I buy outright. Apologies

4. DetTigers macrumors regular

Search the forums. If you're doing the IUP you have to activate the phone specific to the carrier it's meant for. After that you can put in whatever SIM card you want.

5. irod87 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah this wouldn't work for me then because I have no Verizon account to activate it on first.

6. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

You can't even get a non-tmobile phone without proving you have an existing post-paid account with the carrier (at least online).

7. goudok macrumors member

what are you guys talking about
    you can walk in buy any phone full price and it will work on att... i reserved, walked into apple store.. picked up sprint phone.. put in att sim card and it works just fine..

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

The problem is then when you are signing up for the iUP then you can't. You have to activate it on that carrier meant for first. After it's activated then you can remove the sim and insert the other sim you normally use and will work on that carrier. So if you don't have a Verizon Account then this won't work and you would have to pay outright for the device.

9. goudok macrumors member

oh k understood...seems like its kind of stupid, i was the lucky one when they were still allowing reserved phone to be picked up paid in full without having to mention anything about an account..

10. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

This is because if you asked to buy it full price they won't ask you for any account info and mark it as Device Only on their system. Which is doable.