Can I jailbreak my phone to get free tether to ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by barrett14, Mar 16, 2011.

1. barrett14 macrumors regular

I really don't want to give up my unlimited data plan if I don't have to. Can I jailbreak my phone and tether to my ipad for free with unlimited data? pros? cons?

Sorry if this isn't the proper forum for this someone just mentioned it to me as something I should consider.

Thanks

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

3. shadrap macrumors 6502

Same

4. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

Just jailbreak and download an app called miwi (mifi?). It's $20. Just open it, set a SSID, then on your iPad go to wireless settings and connect to the network. I haven't done it yet, but my boss did. I don't see the point right now since only place that doesn't have wifi is my work, and I'm to busy to sit and mess around on my iPad 2. He still has his unlimited plan.

5. bibbz macrumors regular

bibbz

MyWi

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

There may be other options but most widely mentioned/used around these forums is an app called MyWi. After you jailbreak, open Cydia and you'll see it mentioned right on the home screen. There's a free trial and costs $20 to purchase--cost of one month of tethering on AT&T and you don't have to get rid of your unlimited plan.

7. epictempo macrumors regular

Tetherme

I've been using tetherme with my vz iPhone to wirelessly tether my MBA and iPad. It's a native app unlike mywi and it cost a whopping $2.

8. freeman727 macrumors 6502

9. barrett14 thread starter macrumors regular

what is the downside of doing this? chance of bricking? how hard is it to update to new iphone versions? can you unjailbreak?

overall worth doing?

10. dmb420 macrumors member

Overall it is definitely worth doing.

Jailbreaking your phone is easy. Technically... it voids your warranty... but all you have to do is restore your phone to the default firmware and they can never tell it's been jailbroken. So to answer your question, yes you can unjailbreak.

Updating to new iOS software is easy. Plug it in to itunes and update, then re-jailbreak your phone. Jailbreaking your phone will install an app called Cydia. Cydia is, in a nuthsell, the unauthorized app store. There are apps in cydia that will save all of your jailbreak settings and apps, which allows you to quickly setup the jailbroken stuff after an update.

There is usually a gap of a few weeks between when new software is released by apple and when the jailbreak becomes available for that specific version.

As for tethering to your ipad... Simply jailbreak and purchase MiWi or pdanet (I think its called pdanet, i can't remember. I personally use MiWi) MiWi costs 20.00, but its totally worth it. You'll save way more than that simply by not having to pay for tethering.

Check out this page for a chart of info pertaining to which versions of software can be jailbroken on each respective apple product:

http://thebigboss.org/jailbreak-now

I've been jailbreaking my phone since the first gen iphone, so I have a lot of experience with this stuff. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions later on.

11. barrett14 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

If I jailbreak can I download apps from the app store like normal? When is 4.3 coming?

12. michaelz macrumors regular

+1

13. todd03blown macrumors member

Yep you can use the app store just like before. Word is next week for the 4.3 JB.

14. huskerchad macrumors regular

In fact, you don't even need to jailbreak, because bluetooth tethering works now out of the box. Just tried it with my stock iPad 2 to my iPhone 4.

15. meder87 macrumors regular

Wait, you connected your iPhone 4 to your iPad 2 by bluetooth and you can tether? That doesn't sound right.

16. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

iOS 4.3 supports Bluetooth tethering to the iPad from a 3GS or iPhone 4

17. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

How do you set up and use Bluetooth tethering?

18. todd03blown macrumors member

Interesting, no idea this was an option.

19. barrett14 thread starter macrumors regular

+1

20. ehurdler macrumors member

I am. iPhone 4 32GB JB, iPad 2 64GB tethered using MyWi.

21. jbrady3324 macrumors regular

What are your thoughts on battery life while tethering?

22. huskerchad macrumors regular

Yes. Now, this won't work for the OP, because he doesn't want to give up unlimited data, but you can definitely do it (and if you're willing to jailbreak you don't have to give up unlimited).

Here is my setup.

* Jailbroken iPhone 4 on AT&T with 4.2.1. For the purpose of the tether, the only reason I am jailbroken is to enable tethering with TetherMe. If you have this option enabled from AT&T and can enable bluetooth tethering on your phone, you are good to go.

* NON-jailbroken (obviously) iPad 2 running stock 4.3.

It's being reported on various blogs and news sites how to do it. I listed my steps below. I should say that mine failed the first time I tried, but I have been successful ever since. So, don't give up if it doesn't work once.

1. Enable bluetooth on both devices.
    1.5 Disable WiFi on the iPad.
    2. Enable tethering on the iPhone.
    3. Select the iPhone from the list of available Bluetooth devices on the iPad.
    4. Confirm the dialog that should come up on each device that asks you to verify that the code is the same.
    5. You will have a new icon in your iPad's status bar indicating a bluetooth network connection. Enjoy!

No matter if your iPhone has a wifi connection or not, this is sharing your cell data.

(Edited to add step 1.5, which I'm not sure is important, but I think made a difference in my case. Also added new icon description.)