Can I just go to FedEx and pick up my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brymo, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Brymo macrumors regular

I'm not presigning and I'm at work until 3PM. Obviously they will come by. I want it that day.

Anyone have any experience in picking up from the FedEx place? I know they close at 5:30PM.

Thanks!

2. churchrd macrumors member

I've done that a few times. There's a number to call on the sticky note that they leave. You can call so they know to take it off the truck when it returns to the depot.

Or just go there after work and hope the truck with your iphone has returned.

3. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

From what I've gathered, Fedex may let you have it held at their depot once it ships (before a delivery attempt is ever made).

I know UPS won't do this. It has caused me numerous problems because they are required to make one delivery attempt before they will reroute your package.

4. Brymo thread starter macrumors regular

5. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Are we sure it will ship out with FedEx? My 3GS ordered from Apple last year shipped UPS. I sure hope it's FedEx, their depot is close to my house and I can always pick stuff up there from 6pm-7pm.

6. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Fedex will not hold it at the facility until after the 1st attempt. What you can do If you get the door tag and the fedex branch isn't far away is go in and then pick it up the same day before they close but they will not take a phone call to tell them to hold it as this is against Apple's instructions.

7. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

Well crap. If it's UPS, they have all day to deliver and they have to make one attempt for it to be held. I guess we'll know when it ships.

8. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

Yeah Fedex you can usually pick it up same day after a delivery since they stay open late. UPS it's usually next day.

9. Titan12 macrumors regular

I called FedEx regarding this question earlier tonight. The rep told me that once I have a tracking number and see that my package has arrived at my local depot, I can call the FedEx 1-800 # and have them hold my package for pickup. She stated that if I time it correctly, I will not have to wait for the first delivery attempt to be completed. According to her, its not a rare request.

10. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

It's worth a shot.

11. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

Same here. I'm praying it's not God awful UPS. It'll be 6:30pm before I can go over and get it and I have to go to apple to pick up another phone. :mad:

12. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

That is wrong Apple has specific instructions on their product delivery and they won't hold it.

13. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

Heh. Sometimes humans make mistakes. C'est la vie. It's always worth a shot.

14. dave006 Contributor

dave006

If you want to pickup at the local facility (FedEx / UPS), once it goes out for delivery it often will not make it back to the local facility before customer pickup closes for the day.

So now we have lines at Apple, AT&T, BestBuy, Walmart, Radio Shack and now at the carriers (FedEx / UPS) :eek:

Your best bet would be to pre-sign the Shipment Release Authorization form, post it on your door before 8 AM to have the carrier deliver to one of your neighbors who will be required to sign for your iPhone 4.

Just a reminder, the driver get's to decide if he (she) wants to leave the package at the delivery location or circumstances are unsuitable for release without signature as determined at the driver's sole discretion. Now that "Bribe the Driver" thread might start looking good at this point.

Dave

15. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

It's not like anyone is going to be able to activate their phone on the 24th anyway. :D

16. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Yes its really easy. Just take the slip they leave at your door, give it to them, show ID, get package.

17. redsawx31 macrumors newbie

I work in a shipping dept. and I talked to our Fedex guy yesterday and he said that they were told about the heavy volume next week due to the new Iphone. So I would say it is going to be Fedex that is making these deliveries.

18. Nyse macrumors member

Well I just called fedex and they were quick to tell me that they have to make at least one attempt to deliver before you can go to the facility to pickup.:mad:

19. sam011989 macrumors regular

id recommend trying to call the actual depot, not the 800 number. talk to the people at the actual depot, maybe even go in and talk to them in person. see what THEY can do at the depot, sometimes they're willing to be a little more helpful than they're required