Can I justify upgrading from 1st gen iPad to iPad 2 w/ 3G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wineandcarbs, Apr 5, 2011.

1. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Can I justify upgrading from my fairly new (to me; bought it used) first gen wifi iPad to the 3G iPad 2? My reasoning is that many places I frequent, including most of work, does not have free wifi access so I can't use it on the go as much as I'd like to. But I feel bad because the first gen iPad is fairly new to me. Honestly, I probably wouldn't sell it. Thoughts?

Current iPad is 32gb but I could probably go with the 16gb since I don't put any music on it and limited video.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Why wouldn't you sell it? I bought an iPad 2 (two of them, actually -- one to stay at home and one to take with me) and then I sold my old iPad 3G 64GB to someone this weekend. Got $400 for it -- probably could have gotten more, if I wanted to. That pretty much paid for one of the two iPad 2s.

Going forward, there ARE going to be apps that aren't going to run well on an original iPad, due to memory and CPU requirements. That right there is reason enough to upgrade, in my opinion.

3. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know if I'd be able to find a buyer and I'm bad with the whole eBay thing, lol. I know, pitiful reasons! I just feel bad because I shelled out cash for this one just a few days ago (bought it used from someone who upgraded to the iPad 2! Haha) and now want a 3G one so I can really make use of it on the go.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, the first mistake would be using eBay. First thing to try is word-of-mouth among your friends and coworkers -- that's how I sold mine. You know they're not gonna rip you off and there are plenty of people who'd love to get a good-condition iPad for a fair (not new) price. Even if you sell it at a loss, you'll still have plenty left over to apply against the iPad 2.

And if that doesn't work, you can try Craigslist -- just make sure you specify cash only, no trades, and meet the buyer in a public place like a Starbucks so they don't mug you.

5. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

You can justify just about anything, you are a human :)

I went from a 32GB 3G to a 64GB ATT 3G. Great upgrade. Very fast and love the smart cover.

6. tkadrum macrumors member

My philosophy is ...
    JUST DO IT!!
    If that is what you want, GO FOR IT! Why bother asking questions.
    You ARE the one with the final product!

I may not like it, but you DO
    I may like it, but you DON'T

7. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! That's actually how I got this iPad, from a trusted person who stated they were looking to sell it. :)

Thanks for the advice! And yes not getting mugged is always a good plan :p

8. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to JUST DO IT!

9. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I think you have made the right choice, my friend!