Can I keep my # if I switch providers in the 30 day return window?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zorinlynx, Sep 13, 2012.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I'm thinking of upgrading to the iPhone 5. I'm on AT&T, but have no idea what their LTE network is like in my area. If it sucks, I'd consider switching to Verizon. Can I do this?:

- Upgrade to iPhone 5 on AT&T.

- If it sucks, during the 30 day return window, purchase a Verizon iPhone 5 and port my number.

- Once the number is safely ported, return AT&T iPhone 5 within 30 day window.

Will porting the number cause an ETF? Will my AT&T iPhone 5 become unreturnable if I do this? I know I can return the phone within 30 days, but I don't want to lose my phone number, which I've had since 2004!

2. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Since you are a current AT&T customer, if you don't like the LTE service after you upgrade then you should return the iPhone 5 and revert your account during the 30 day window. No ETF, you just pay the $36 upgrade fee and any voice / data service used during the 30 period.

Then you could reorder an iPhone 5 for Verizon and port. However, you might not like the Verizon service so I would not port to Verizon until you have a chance to check out the Verizon service.

You can order a Verizon iPhone 5 starting a new account and get a new Verizon number, then after you confirm / verify that you like the service / coverage you can request a port.

Dave

3. zorinlynx thread starter macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Thanks for the reply.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the AT&T iPhone 5 64GB, then take my time deciding. It seems I'll have 30 days to return to exactly the place I was before ordering, so it gives me a good chance to try things out without risk.