Can I keep my number if my Verizon contract hasn't expired?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Blanz, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Blanz macrumors member

I searched around a bit, but I couldn't find anything pertaining to my specific question - hope it hasn't been asked before.

Anyway, here's my dilemma. Right now im towards the end of my verizon phone contract (ends in august), but I'm interested in getting the iphone 4 when it comes out. It is only $10/month to simply let my contract expire, which is much cheaper than paying the early termination fee. I know that I can port my phone number over if my contract has already expired, but can i also do it if the number is still linked to the verizon contract? For example, is it possible to simply switch the numbers of the two phones even if they're on different carriers? thanks for the help

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Yes you can however you must pay Verizon their high Early Termination Fee ETF.

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

How is it only $10 a month to let it expire?

Unfortunately, once your number is ported, the original contract officially terminates. What you could do is get the iPhone with a new number, then port your old number as soon as the verizon one expires. You could even set up call forwarding to the new number.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    That would be the most cost effective way.
    Use a temp number from at&t for a few months and when the verizon contract ends they can port it for you from Verizon to your AT&T account.

5. Blanz thread starter macrumors member

i dunno, i talked to the verizon guy, and that's what he said based on the phone and type of contract i have.

But argh, thats a pain. I know within verizon you can switch the phone numbers among phones as often as you want. I am definitely not will to pay $350 to cancel right away. It's more of an inconvenience to not keep my current number, not a neccessity.

I've never heard of call forwarding... does it work with texts too?

6. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Well, the extra cost would be whatever your monthly bill is times the number of months you have left. You could strip away features like number of texts and data plan if you have them on there.

Your ETF won't be $350. If your contract is just about to expire, that means you initiated it before they upped the ETF, which means you're grandfathered in with the old ETF.

Call forwarding will not work with texts, however the number of people you text is usually smaller and you can notify them all via one mass text.