Can I list my list my iPhone as Factory Unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nyy8, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

So I got my 5s with Verizon Wireless last year, and got the iPhone 6 this year. If I were to sell my 5s on eBay, can I list this phone as "Factory Unlocked"?

2. RCRod83 macrumors regular

RCRod83

Nothing you have said so far makes it "Factory Unlocked". Did Verizon unlock it for you? Did you buy it from Verizon unlocked? Did Apple unlock it? Did you pay someone to unlock it?

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yes you can. The Verizon iPhone 5S is unlocked by default.

4. Nyy8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

It seems like Verizon is legally bound to sell their phone's unlocked. Based on my reading.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, in fact you can list authorized unlocked iPhones under factory unlocked as ebay doesn't have a separate category for them.

6. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Legally bound to sell their phones unlocked? There is no such law.

In 1998 DMCA made it illegal for consumers to unlock their phones. In 2014 SB 517 repealed that portion of DMCA, making it legal to do so.

7. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

It was part of their deal to purchase more LTE spectrum from the FCC. The SIM slot on Verizon iPhone 5 + (not sure about Androids?!?) is GSM unlocked not only abroad but also in the United States.

8. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

When verizon bought the 700mhz spectrum from the government they had to agree to sell phones that run on it sim unlocked.

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

I forgot about that. :eek:

Doubt the FCC has enforced it though.

10. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Yes all Verizon LTE phones after 2011 or 2012 have to be unlocked. The iphone 5 and 5s are both unlocked.

11. Nyy8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Thanks Everyone.

I'll probably throw this up on eBay as "Unlocked" but not Factory unlocked.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Seriously, just list is as factory unlocked. People that are telling you otherwise simply don't know what they are talking about. Any phone sold as a Verizon phone with an LTE radio is FACTORY unlocked. Drop any sim in it and it will work, PERIOD.

13. dougg3 macrumors newbie

It's factory unlocked for sure. If you want to hear it straight from the horse's mouth, it's on the second bullet point on this page:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/aboutus/commitment/safety-security/device-unlocking-policy.html

14. KPandian1 macrumors 6502

Not honest!

The "Official Factory Unlocked" vs Verizon's forced to sell unlocked iPhone, from iPhone 5 onwards, (700 deal) is about $400 and more, depending on the buyer!

Order a Verizon iPhone at the end of contract for $200, continue using the older phone, sell the "Unlocked" for iPhone more than $600!

The cost of an unlocked iPhone 6 from Apple direct, store or web, is about $800 after taxes!

Also, the spectrum use in GSM is compromised in Verizon's iPhones - I can't quote the detail, but any Mac savvy ATT or T-Mobile user knows this difference. Something about the 4G not fully supported!

eBay might catch-up with this twist sooner or later. Peculiar that they have yet to impose this MPN information rule to identify an exact model!

List the iPhone for sale with its MPN number: MPN ME302LL/A vs ME347LL/A for example.

Then your listing is complete. These numbers are the first nine characters on the top left corner of the sticker on the back of the box, and above its serial number on the same label.

The model numbers starting with A (for ex., Model A1533, is the same for GSM and CDMA models) do not accurately describe the iPhone.

Or just say Verizon factory unlocked in the description - it will get less response!

15. 617aircav Suspended

I list all my iPhone as factory unlocked after att unlocks them. There is no difference.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Same here.

17. KPandian1 macrumors 6502

True - except ATT & T-Mobile are GSM unlocked by carrier, not Apple; Verizon is CDMA, and comes unlocked from the factory by law, and there is a GSM 4G issue!

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, but ebay doesn't have a separate category for authorized-unlocked iPhones so we list them under factory unlocked. They're the same after being unlocked.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd list it as verizon factory unlocked or something similar.
    This way anyone on any gsm carrier can use it and also verizon customers can also purchase it. As long as its not blacklisted and you paid all fees and etf if applicable.

So much fail in your posts.
    Just because you didn't know or hear about something it didn't happen or is not enforced I guess:rolleyes:
    Guess what? It is strictly enforced and follow by verizon on all their LTE devices and yes there is a government contract agreement that verizon entered when they purchased their LTE frequencies.

20. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I see factory unlocked listed for Verizon iPhones on eBay, so you should be perfectly fine listing yours that way as well.