Can I load 2 versions of itunes one for apple TV and one for my ipod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by WizardHunt, Oct 6, 2008.

1. WizardHunt macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

Hi, I own a apple TV and use streaming to place my movies on to my apple tv and I think I would have a problem if I try to sync the same movies to the ipod. Also I used 2500 bit rate for the apple tv for my HD tv and the ipod only needs like 1000 bit rate so I would like to have 2 sets of itunes. Is this possible? How could I do this? Any ideas?

2. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

On a Mac, hold down Option while opening iTunes and choose create a new library. Then, name it something other than your other iTunes Library so you aren't confused. Copy all your music into it.

On a PC, follow those same directions but hold down Shift instead of Option.

This will, however, create two copies of your iTunes library files, causing duplicate large files. A better and more efficient way may be to put both copies of a movie into your library and manually manage your songs and videos on both your Apple TV and iPod touch. This is the most space efficient way I know of, and you can quickly add music to the touch without having to copy it from the other library.