Can I merge texting conversations?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ccapman670, Jun 5, 2012.

1. ccapman670 macrumors regular

Is there a way to merge two texting conversations into one on the iPhone? I use iMessage and several of my friends with iPads as well as iPhone also do. It's gets annoying because my friend Josh will have a contact in my phone, where I have BOTH his email and cell listed in the same exact contact, but when he iMessages me from his iPad it shows as one conversation and when he leaves his house and picks it back up on his iPhone it shows another.. Is there some way to merge these so I'm not getting two separate conversations on my phone? Sorry if that was confusing I hope I gave enough information to at least explain what I'm asking.. Thanks!

2. PantherCreek, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012

PantherCreek macrumors regular

Your friend Josh is texting you from his iPad with his email address and from his iPhone with his phone number.

Nothing you can do about it.

You can have your friend Josh add his email address to his iMessage settings on his phone, so when he leaves the house he will message you from his email address, and keep it in one conversation for you since it's from the same email address.

Keep in mind if you start a new conversation with him (if you delete your conversations) and you use his number when he responds with his email address it will be a new conversation.

3. PantherCreek macrumors regular

It appears that this will be corrected with iOS 6, because they will merge your phone number with your Apple ID.

4. ccapman670 thread starter macrumors regular