Can I Monitor Power to Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kokoricoboy, Jul 18, 2013.

1. kokoricoboy macrumors newbie

kokoricoboy

Greetings:

I occasionally travel in countries that have unstable power. I've seen light bulbs pop.

I bought a Belkin travel voltage regulator at the Apple Store which immediately blows fuses in the switch boxes in my temporary residences when I plug the voltage regulator in to a transformer. Whether or not the unit is defective, or if I'm using it the right way, is not the subject of this post. I'm concerned about the possibility of damage done by fluctuating power to my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.4. since I have to plug it directly into the outlets.

Do any of you know if there is a feature of MacBook or a Terminal window command I can look at to see what kind of voltage is coming into my machine? Or am I worried about something I can do nothing about, and the power cord/adapter filters as much as possible?

Any advice appreciated.

Kirk

2. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

If your computer is to get more voltage than it can take, it'd shut down/burn so a terminal window wouldnt be useful.

I dont have much experience with overvolting electronics but my gut feeling says that your charger would probably be damaged first and would likely save your macbook.

3. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

istat menus will tell you this but like Xgm said if there is an actual, damaging power surge your macbook will be dead before it can register in the app. Just get a good surge protector and make sure it is rated for the input and output voltages you will be using.

4. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Also if you're using a surge protector, typically they come with insurance, like 15,000 dollars of coverage. No idea how they actually might pay out though.