Can I order a Verizon phone if I’m on AT&T?

PCtoMAC1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
9to5 Mac ran a story stating that one can purchase another providers phone if you are going to use the iPhone upgrade program. That being said, I’m on AT&T and would like to purchase a Verizon phone. The problem I keep facing is that the Apple store app keeps asking for Verizon account information regardless of how I opt to pay for the phone.

Does anyone know how to do this????

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
I believe, but don't quote me on it, that the initial launch phones are tied with a carrier upon purchase. You would have to already be on the network, have it upgraded on the same network, and or if you buy the phone outright, you'll have to sign with that network.

For example, I'm on AT&T (GSM), but I want to outright buy the Verizon phone because it's CDMA, I wouldn't be able to without signing on to the carrier. You can technically buy it outright on launch day (Verizon CDMA iPhone X), but you would still need to sign up for Verizon service, upgrade from a pre-existing line, or already be on the network. Only way around this if for some miracle Apple sells the sim-free version at launch, which I highly doubt.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But only the iPhone 8/8+ was the only iPhone to date that I know of sold a sim-free version for preorder/launch. Hope this helps.