can I order an MBA and ship to NY without paying sales tax

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by petalino, Nov 21, 2010.

1. petalino macrumors regular

I am salivating over the 11" 1.6, 4GB MBA.

Today I finally decided to get it from MacMall, but to my surprise I have to pay $125 sales tax, even though they are in California.

Called customer service and was told that there is a new rule for online orders shipped to NY state that they all will have sales tax added regardless of the shippers location.

Is this true?

Does anyone know a mailorder store selling the MBA without charging sales tax when sending to NY?

2. Murl macrumors member

Try portable one.com they weren't going to charge me tax across state lines but I had to ask. I don't work for them or have any vested interest there they just treated me extremely nice on the phone, and they will give you a student discount if you ask.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

See the "Brit buying an air in NY" thread. NYS is getting pretty aggressive in going after online retailers. Most will add sales tax now (including Amazon and Buy.com).

4. petalino thread starter macrumors regular

edu discount

You are right indeed.

I checked their website and there is no sales tax.

How do I get the educational discount on top of their low price?

Thanks

5. Murl macrumors member

Just call in the morning and ask. If that representative won't do it let me know and I'll look up the name of the one I contacted. They will give you a promo code to put in at the time of checkout.

6. neteng101 macrumors 65816

7. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I will be selling mine(1.4/4G) for 750.00 as soon as the iPad is released.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

I'm a bit curious as to why. Will you be getting another MacBook Air in the future, or is it just a stopgap to a more powerful iPad?