Can I partition an HD to run 2 different versions of OSX??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by supernaturalmat, Aug 9, 2010.

1. supernaturalmat macrumors newbie

I've just upgraded my macbook to snow leopard from tiger, and after opening an application I have to use yearly for work, I discovered that the program cannot function in Snow Leopard without a $275 update which my job will not pay for. Before I decide to either spring for the update or downgrade back to Tiger, is there a way I could use a hard drive partition to run two different versions of OSX? My concern is if I downgrade on any section of my hard drive it would downgrade the entire thing. Is there a way of doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This can easily be done. All you need to do is open Disk Utility, select your hard drive, click the Partition tab, then click the Plus button. Then you need to give it a name and size. When done click Apply. This will NOT erase your current data. It'll just make the drive a bit smaller. When the partitioning is complete insert your Tiger DvD and install to the correct partition. To switch between the two press Option at boot.

Note: This doesn't really work with Boot Camp to well.

3. supernaturalmat thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thank you for the info! My only concern is that since my macbook came preinstalled with Tiger initially, I do not have the DVD for it. Can this be done without it, or would I have to purchase a Tiger DVD?

And GGJstudios, I appreciate the link, I did see that earlier but it did not address all of my concerns.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If your Macbook came with the reinstallation discs use those. There is no retail version of Tiger for Intel Macs. The only way to get Tiger back onto your Macbook is by using the reinstallation discs for your model.