can i play a mp3 CD in iTunes 3?

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i have got all my MP3's on CD's, and i don't want to have to copy them to my Mac. and for the MP3's that i do want on my Mac, is there any way to play them in iTunes without them being copied to the music folder. i only have 4GB OS X partition.

so can i play my mp3 CD's in iTunes, or do i have to get another app for this? are there any apps that will let me do this?

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
If the MP3 cd was made with iTunes, you can.

If you made if off just by copying files to the cd....it won't recognize it. Why? I don't know

If you do have a cd that's been made that way or from a pc and you want to play them without copying it to your HD....get MacAmp, that's what I use...

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
You can play them straight off the CD. Theres a chance it wont recognize them automatically, but if it doesnt just open itunes and in the file menu select "Open File" and locate the music that you have on the CD

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
ok, the CD i have was made with Nero on a PC. iTunes won't recognize the CD in the menu, and whenever i go into the CD & open a song from there it automatically copies the song to the iTunes music folder in my OS X partition.

looks like i'll give MacAmp a try. is that on versiontracker? i'll have a look there now...

edit>> sweeeet!! :D i just got MacAmp Lite from versiontracker & it's awesome!! i might end up buying a piece of shareware!

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by cb911
ok, the CD i have was made with Nero on a PC. iTunes won't recognize the CD in the menu, and whenever i go into the CD & open a song from there it automatically copies the song to the iTunes music folder in my OS X partition.
Well, you have to go into the iTunes preferences and deselect the option which copies it automatically into the iTunes music folder...

But if you like MacAmp so much.. it doesn't really matter...

irmongoose

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
whoa! you can change all that stuff in prefrences?!!:eek: alright!!!:D i like iTunes again:)

but the MP3 CD still doesn't show up in the iTunes menu...:rolleyes:

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
so now i can play my mp3 CD's in iTunes without them automatically being copied to my HD, but what would be really good is for the CD to show up in the iTunes menu along with the playlists & stuff. so does anyone know of a plug-in or applescript that allows a MP3 CD to show in the iTunes menu?