can i plug in a usb hub into my airport extreme router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by matthewjhawkins, Feb 27, 2008.

1. matthewjhawkins macrumors newbie

I want to be able to hook up both a usb printer, as well as a usb external hard drive. will i be able to plug in a usb hub or extension type device, and be able to access both since there is only 1 usb plug in the router? Does that make sense?? has anyone done this?

matt

2. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I think its possible. Have you got a USB Hub or are you planning on buying one? If you own one, try it!

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes. I have two hard disks and a printer hanging off of mine. A powered hub might work better than a passive one as the AEBS sometimes (randomly) disconnects USB devices for no reason.

4. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

Yes, you can use a hub... read: http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/features/harddrivesharing.html

No, you don't need a powered hub because the devices you'll be using power themselves. You can if you want, but it'll be overkill... I wouldn't recommend using any USB devices with AEBS that are not self-powering.

5. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Matt,
    Just to be sure - you have an 802.11n model Extreme, right? The older 802.11g model Extreme wouldn't handle more than just a USB printer. OK, I take that back - there was a limited edition 802.11g Extreme called "power over ethernet" that could handle a hub and four printers.