Can I plug my USB/Firewire external HD directly into my Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bill P., Apr 16, 2011.

1. Bill P. macrumors regular

Bill P.

I have a previous generation Airport Extreme. I currently have my external HD plugged into my iMac, but it's noisy. My Airport Extreme is in an unused room. Can I plug the HD into the Airport Extreme and continue to use it for Time Capsule backups, albeit using WiFi?

Thanks!

Bill

2. Bill P. thread starter macrumors regular

Bill P.

Thanks much for your guidance. Much appreciated.

I've moved my HD to the Airport location and plugged it in to the Airport's USB port. The HD is powered up.

How do I get the drive to show up on my remote desktop?

Thanks again,

Bill

3. simsaladimbamba

Open AirPort Utility and configure "AirDisk". Then check Finder > Preferences >> General >>> Show these items on the Desktop >>>> Connected servers, if you want to see the HDD on your Desktop.

4. twitch88 macrumors newbie

twitch88

remote access

If you have your HD set up this way, can you access it from anywhere or just on your home network? I'm wanting to get all my music and movies set up this way so that I can free up space on my mbp, but I don't want to lug around a portable HD everywhere I go

5. simsaladimbamba

It is possible via Mobile Me and maybe other services, but streaming movies from your home to your MBP while on the road might be slow depending on your internet connection and how much you pay per MB/GB.
    A mobile 2.5" HDD might be cheaper in the long run and doesn't take up much space and does not wear more than 200g.