Can I post a really gory picture or two for a question?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by waloshin, Aug 19, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Can I post a really gory picture or two for a question? Or would it just be trashed?

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What is the question sans picture? Perhaps pony that up and maybe someone can answer. However, here is my advice to you for here and in life. If you have to ask something like this then it's likely not ok.

This is a "family" site ... consider that.
    Subscribed all the same. :p

4. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Oh god...It kinda depends on what the pictures are. But if you have to ask, I would just say GORY(Link to image).

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Why not put it elsewhere like Photobucket or Flickr and link to it, giving a warning what it is first and a heads-up to the topic?

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Provide and URL then. Make a warning. Also, is this from Encyclopedia Dramatica?

7. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That's not that bad. Just have a strong stomach.

9. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

What about the victims screaming in pain, screaming to be killed?

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ignore. A Paramedic is supposed to deal with situations like this. Training is underwent for these types of situations.

True that not all the training in the world will prepare you for x. But, you have to be mentally prepared to see something like this. For example, a plane crash.

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Those pictures are grim and the situations must be very traumatic. I can only venture a guess that it comes down to training.

Repeat training so that your response becomes automatic rather than an active thought process. That plus a support system in the background so that you can deal with the situations' mental affects afterwards.

With a job like paramedic I am sure the success stories must really help the mental issues associated with the losses.

12. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Yikes! I think those photos are VERY gory!

The first time I was in the cadaver lab I was a bit freaked out. By about the 3rd or 4th time I barely thought anything about it. In other words, maybe paramedics get used to it?

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why? It's their job.
    How? Someone has to do it.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

15. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

As others have said, they will become accustomed to these types of thing and be able to stay on top of it. Not only that, but they must also be able to stay calm as their demeanor will have a direct effect on that of the victims'. If they can stay calm, they may be able to calm the victim down in the effort to stabilize him or her.

16. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I figure its best not to even try to look at those while at work. My family is in medicine and I was an industrial first responder. I only had a few nasty calls but you really don’t think about it at the time to many more important things to focus on.

I remember when I was a kid my Dad got really pissed that someone was on a motorcycle with out a helmet. I later found out that he once literally picked up parts of brain and face (and his own puke) with a shovel.

Its not the gore that hurts them, its knowing it usually could have been prevented that hurts.

17. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Something tells me those people didn't have a chance to scream in pain.

I remember reading about one case where a guy crashed his car and was trapped inside as it caught fire. The first trooper to respond said the man was inside, burning to death and begging the trooper to shoot him to make it quick. Now that would mess you up. I hit a cat once, and it still bothers me. I can't imagine having something like that to deal with.

Well, there's my semi-annual post in The Big Serious Section..

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

A lot of the time they don't. And it is horrible for them. And they don't receive the adequate counselling or recognition for it.

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You actually, believe it or not, become numb to it. They don't bother me at all now. Something can be said about doctors, morticians or anybody that deals with accidents/deaths etc day in and day out.

It really isn't that hard.

20. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

One of my uncles is a mortician. When the family gets together we can have some very interesting dinner conversations. Time for dinner.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

That stuff just doesn't bother me. Never really has.

22. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

No, I could never deal with that. I guess I'm too weak :)

23. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

It doesn't really bother me looking at pictures like that but I think seeing something like that in person would be horrifying.

24. awmazz macrumors 65816

I suppose the accident victims that they actually save makes it all worthwhile and even rewarding. The good they achieve far outweighs the bad they see. Like homicide cops or ER surgeons as well. I'd wager far more rewarding than stacking shelves at a supermarket or working in a call centre for minimum wage. I know which I would prefer as an occupation if I had to choose...

The guy in the photos is obviously not in that 'coulda saved him' category though.

PS. OT, no matter how much gore or dead bodies you see in the movies etc, knowing it's the real thing makes it different...

PPS. Even more OT, religions claiming us to be 'special' and created in God's image and above all other creatures on Earth etc etc can't explain why we look just like any other meat and bone animal when we're butchered too...

25. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

xD

I did. And I'm the guy who passes out at the sight of blood.

But guess what, I survived :) Maybe it's the fact that they're dead that makes me tolerate it...