Can I pre-order an iPhone to be delivered to an Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SR71, Aug 28, 2013.

1. SR71 macrumors 68000

Just something I was wondering about earlier in anticipation of the next iPhone's release. Does anyone happen to know if it's possible to reserve an iPhone at an Apple Store or pre-order one to have it delivered/picked up at an Apple Store? Anyone remember how it was last year?

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You can reserve one online and pick it up in store.

3. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ah, okay. I was under the impression that this was only for regular orders, not pre-orders of new products. Thanks for the quick reply.

4. boshii, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013

boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Out of curiosity, why do you want to pick it up at an Apple store? They can ship it directly to you and you'll get it on release day.

5. pmau macrumors 65816

He probably wants to see if its alright and not accept it when it's not 100% OK.
    If Apple has not worked on its QA processes, the first batch might be produced without much attention to detail ;)

PS: I never had to send a delivery back to Apple. Knock on wood.
    That includes big Cinema Displays, a full MacPro and at least 4 MacBook Pro's

6. makotoisle macrumors 6502

Personally, I'd rather pick mine up at the Apple Store. Fedex and UPS seem to come by super late here, and I'd rather not waste the day waiting for them to show up.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

This. I'm probably the last stop for the UPS guy. I've literally gotten packages at like 6:45 pm before

8. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

As others have said, I also usually don't take delivery until later on in the afternoon, but my main reason of picking it up is to save on tax. I'm buying it off-contract at $650 so tax in Massachusetts is around $40, which I'd rather use on accessories for the phone, hence why I was wondering if it'd be possible to ship to the store (in New Hampshire, 20 minutes away from me where there is no sales tax). While we're on this topic, I shouldn't have any problems pre-ordering the iPhone 5S off-contract, should I? I thought I remembered seeing a post a long time ago saying that it wasn't possible to pre-order iPhone's off-contract. Anybody know for sure?

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You'll want to double check the pre-order delivery protocol. Either call or email apple after they've made the announcement.

10. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah I was planning on doing that as well, but I figured that all of the pre-ordering protocols would be the same as they were last year.

11. nostresshere macrumors 68030

This is among the first of what will easily be a few thousand messages about ordering a new phone.

I will at least give the OP credit for not asking if he can order it today. (it does not exist yet, officially)

12. AFDoc macrumors 68030

The last few iPhone orders have NOT allowed in store pickup of iPhones.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

If I'm just going to come home from work to a pink slip hanging on my door saying they need signature and I'm not going to get until next day when I goto fedex/ups to pickup in person.

Might as well just pop over to AppleStore to pickup. It's closer anyway.

14. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

This is what I thought it was like. I have a feeling that if I want an unlocked/off-contract Verizon iPhone 5S, I'm going to have to go to an actual Verizon store on launch day, as I don't think Apple sells off-contract iPhone's that run on Verizon's CDMA network. At least, that's how it is if you try to purchase a Verizon iPhone 5 off-contract from Apple's Online Store. There's no option for a Verizon model, just a T-Mobile (GSM) model and a SIM free (GSM) model.