Can I prevent Safari & Youtube from being used on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drober30, Nov 2, 2011.

1. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I'm going to upgrade my 11yr old daughters phone for Christmas. We were looking at messaging phones but I think the iPhone would make the most sense.

She could have her music, all the apps that shes use to on her iTouch and the great camera with iCloud and photo stream. I just don't want her to have the Internet at her disposal at 11yrs old.

Can I turn off Safari and YouTube in the restrictions settings? This way she does not have Internet but will have texting and email. She would also be able to use Siri and most likely not come close to the 200MB limit per month.

Am I thinking this through correctly?

2. BFG86 macrumors 6502

Yes you can turn them off those apps using the restrictions built in but that doesn't disable the internet.

There's lots more you can do as well though besides those 2 things if you're worried about the data and what else she can access

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

You can disable Safari and YouTube, disable the ability to install apps, effectively removing Internet access except for those apps you have installed.

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Lucky kid. :D My first cell phone was when I was 14 and that was a Moto Razr!

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

At least you got a cell phone when you were a kid.

6. Lightey macrumors regular

Why disable YouTube and the internet? What's the point of having an iPhone then anyway?

7. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Music an probably games is just a 11 years old , my son is too young to have an iPhone (he is only 2 ) but he play with the old iPod touch (1st generation) and he loves it

8. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Wow 11 year olds are getting phones now, especially iPhones? I didn't get my first phone till I was 17 and bought it with my own money (and it was a motorola krzr, **** yeah). Wish I was spoiled :(

9. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

It's really not about being spoiled really, it's quite a different world we live in now. Lots of kids are getting their own laptops now at very young ages so families don't have to share. When I was a kid we all had to share the families one computer and hope no one picked up the phones so I didn't get kicked out of my sweet AOL chat room. We live in a tech world and kids are going to keep getting tech stuff younger and younger.

10. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Exactly, it is part of progress, and a perk of living in the first world.

We are ALL SPOILED AS A FIRST WORLD NATION...and many people would rather switch places with us if they could.

So the best thing to do? Accept it, and move on with life, and help all you can to to the third world countries, but accept, NOT GET MAD at the fact that , "So what if an 11 year old has an iPhone, be happy the iPhone exists and that you and I are able to get one"

11. b24pgg macrumors 65816

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You should re-read the OP carefully.

13. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Times have changed

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

if you jb it you can password protect the apps you want you can even hide the apps as if they aren't there. (out of site out of mind) ;)

15. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I would also disable the camera & facetime (sexting) and location services (stalkers Especially since iPhone photos are tagged with GPS locations.)

Also install find my friends, add yourself and disable the modification of find my friends so you can know where she is.

----------

I wouldn't jailbreak. Such a pain in the arse everytime an OS updates, restrictions are good enough.

16. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

LOL. I work with kids and I've seen 7 year olds with the iPhone 4 when it first came out. One of them even said to me "Oh you still have the 3G, it's time for a new phone then."

17. Locodice macrumors regular

Lucky Kid, my first phone when I was a kid was a Siemens brick

18. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

This was my first cell phone when I was 17:
    [​IMG]

19. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

20. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

restriction will work to hide safari. However, you will need to disable the app store as well cuz she can always download other free browsers such as opera mini to get on the web.

----------

lol that was my first at 13 nokia used to rule the world back then.

21. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

+1 My first cell phone was one that I bought myself in college.
    Not kidding, I had one of these and it was awesome back in the day. :D

[​IMG]

But back to the topic, the iPhone/iPod Touch can be completely or partially locked down using Restrictions.

22. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, she is spoiled but not a spoiled brat! Big Difference!

I have taught her to respect money and she saves at least half of everything that come her way.

She does allot of chores around the house including poop patrol before I cut the grass.

It takes an act of congress to get her to clean her room but we all have that one thing we hate doing.

She gets straight A's in school.

I'm so very lucky to have two wonderful daughters!!!!

My wife and I have carers in the I.T. field so our family is surrounded by technology and is the reason I am willing to consider an iPhone for her.

However, still to young to have unrestricted Internet at her disposal. I trust her, I just don't trust the Internet!

----------

She a great kid and would never do that. She is not going to try to get around the blocks.

I might still just get her a messaging phone because that will save me $15 a month not requiring a data plan.

----------

Motorola Ultra Classic. I had one too!

23. SR45, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

[​IMG]

First Cell phone after above phone was used countless of years was for calling only, since I had/have a computer for all the other stuff :D

24. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Heh, I had two tin cans with a string between them when I was a kid. Of course that was back in the stone age....

I guess times have changed. :)

25. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

That looks like my first Phone when I was 18 in ~95 except I had a woodgrain front.. using Comcast Metro :eek:

I think I had the 2110... scratch that :)