Can I put 4GB of RAM in my MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GRN99EX, Apr 20, 2008.

1. GRN99EX macrumors member

My wife decided after a month with her Macbook, that she would rather have the Air. She bought the Air last weekend, and I inherited the MB. I bought a new MBP for work in March, and put the 2GB of ram from that in the MB. Right now it is a 2.2GHz 2GB of RAM MB, but if I can upgrade it to 4 GB, then I might just go ahead and order the RAM.

The build date for my MB says "week 6 (Feb 2008)", and I am wondering if it will handle 4 GB. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!

-Sean

2. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Yes you can. Earlier models could only see 3GB, but yours will see the full 4GB.

3. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

yes you can. just make sure to pick up a set of mini screwdrivers to make the installation of the ram easier. i upgraded my mb to 4gb immediately hah (also feb 08 build).

4. GRN99EX thread starter macrumors member

Just ordered the 4 GB Kingston Apple kit from newegg for $85.99. NE ships out of Edison NJ, which is only about 45 miles north of me, so even with 3 day select I will have it by Tuesday.

Thanks for you help!!!

5. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

For 4GB you need 2x2 and will have to drop your 1x2 if this is how your machine is currently set up.

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

7. BlackThunder macrumors member

I still suggest with earlier models to put in 4GBs...

That's what I have in mine. You get the added benefit of having a matching pair, plus your system recognizes 3.3gbs (as you probably already know)

If ram weren't so damn cheap now I would agree with you.. but for 70 bucks just get the 4gbs and know that you have maxed it out.

-2.16 ghz MacBook PreSR-

8. GRN99EX thread starter macrumors member

The machine originally came with 2 X 512MB, and I swapped that for the 2 X 1BG that came in my MBP. I just added 2 x 2GB which I ordered from NewEgg. All is good now! :D