Can i put my iTunes on a HDD and connect it to an airport extreme

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keith4594, Dec 19, 2011.

1. keith4594 macrumors member

Can i put my iTunes on a HDD and connect it to an airport extreme and share it over my network with my family

me and my sister have two seperate librabaries could we merge or could we create different folders would the apple see this
    aswell as itunes match

Also any news on movies in the cloud

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Actually, you can turn on Home Sharing and then anyone can share it within your home network regardless of where the music is stored.

You can, of course, host the music from one HDD on your network (i.e. both computers point to that library within iTunes) BUT if one person changed songs or files it might screw things up for the others sharing the same folder.

Home sharing is the way to go with one computer maintaining the library I would say. Others may have other suggestions?

3. keith4594 thread starter macrumors member

ok but what if were just adding music and movies and tv shows
    would playlist be ok if we didn't delete songs and what about syncing two iPhones and iPods

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

your itunes library will not automatically adjust to songs/movies being added, it also wont have a clue where the song/movie is if its moved on the drive from the time it was added to the libary