Can I put Win7 on bootcamp in the NEW 2015 13" rMBP? How large a partition?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TheNorthWaves, Mar 29, 2015.

1. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

Two questions for you all…

About to replace my Mid-2010 13" MBP (running Vista on bootcamp + VMware fusion) with an early 2015 13" rMBP… the one just released a week or two ago.

I need Windows 7 for my work environment (possibly 8 is ok) and I'm trying to figure out a few things. Does anyone know if the brand new 13" rMBP will allow Win 7 to run on Bootcamp? I ran into a limitation like this once before on my current machine a while back.

Also, how large a partition would you realistically allocate for this install? I don't have any GB-intensive programs, just the usual stuff and some small programs as well. Perhaps the better question is, how much space does a typical Win7 or Win 8 install actually use?

Thanks!

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Windows 7 is not support through Boot Camp on the 2015 MacBook and MacBook Pro. You can only install Windows 8/8.1.

3. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

Ugh. I was afraid I'd hear that. I'll have to see if anyone at work is running 8.1 in a VM without issue. Then when 10 comes out, I hear there are free upgrades to 8.1 users...

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I'm running 8.1 via an external SSD with all the Boot Camp drivers installed on it, and it runs fine. No issues.

5. Mais78 macrumors regular

I would like to know the same...
    Regarding space, my installation was about 42GB (W7+office). If you kill the hibernation file (size of your RAM, mine was 8GB) and reduce virtual memory to 2GB vs default 8GB you can get sub 30GB

6. doynton macrumors 6502

Whereas my Windows 10 (including Office but excluding user folders, hibernation file etc) is less than 3GB. It is somewhat smaller than the ISO I installed it from.

This is mine (with about 50 odd programs including Office but no games, installed and a backup image). 17GB.

Windows 8 which I upgraded from was 14GB larger as it didn't have the OS compression option that Windows 10 does.

For normal office type use on Windows 10 32GB is absolutely fine, Windows 8 I'd say 40GB and for 7 (as it is bigger still) 50GB. That is assuming you store your music and video files elsewhere of course.

Attached Files:

7. Mais78 macrumors regular

I agree, I noticed the same thing, my installation of W10 was just 12GB including office, much much smaller than W7.