Can I replace my display with high res-dispaly at a relatively low cost?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by montblanc1, Feb 14, 2011.

1. montblanc1 macrumors member

Hello, everyone!

Now my macbook pro 15" has a regular resolution display. Finally,I found the font really rough after 6 months :(

So I am planning to replace it with a anti glare high-res version. Then I called apple, and they told me they won't process request since it is against the Regulation of Coverage. And they offered me some alternative solution, which is I can go to the local technical support centre to have it replaced! I make an inquiry about the price, and to my astonishment, it's gonna cost $599 +$120 labor fee!!! And they just told me my old screen would be no value at all!
    What the heck? I thought replacing the display when you purchase costs you only $100-$150... i feel regret @!!

Anyone has the same experience?

2. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Of course you can't change it at the original cost.

I don't regret the lower res screen on my 15". I don't require a 326ppi retina display there as I use it further away from my eyes than the iPhone and the iPad. Since Mac OS X is still not resolution independent, boosting the resolution a lot would make the text much smaller.

(iPhone 4 - 326PPI; iPad - 132PPI; MBP 15" 1440x900 - 110PPI)

3. brdnboy macrumors regular

Whether you want to pull apart the clamshell and replace the LCD and sell the old LCD as "like new", or just replace the clamshell and sell the old one as "like new" (assuming it is in good shape), I would guess you could get it done for less than $200 in parts. Labor for the clamshell swap should be cheap, as a good tech can do it in 20-30 minutes. Swapping the LCD from in the clamshell is very tedious and labor would cost a lot more.

4. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

You have 3 options;

1. Add an external monitor. You can get a nice 22 incher for less than $200 these days.

2. Sell your 15" MacBook pro and buy another with the screen that you want.

3. Keep it, wait a month then b*tch again on macrumors.com

5. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

1. But if you want high res IPS panel then it's gonna be more than $200 :D

6. aniketroxx macrumors member

aniketroxx

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

When you upgrade the display at the time of original purchase, you only pay the difference in cost between the standard display and the upgraded display. When you want to replace it after purchase you have to buy a complete new display and pay the technician to do the replacement. Your old screen is worthless to Apple - they cannot resell it and they cannot even tell if it is in usable condition or not.

8. bobsakamano macrumors newbie

I have a late 2008 unibody 15" MacBook Pro. Is it even possible to switch out the lower resolution screen with one of the newer, higher resolution screens? If so, about how much would it run?

Thanks.

9. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Did you even read this thread?

10. bobsakamano macrumors newbie

Yes, relax. Point me to where precisely my particular question is answered?

11. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

12. bobsakamano macrumors newbie

Thanks. Looks like it's doable, but the instructions on replacing the LCD are terrifying--even to have a professional do.

13. schalliol macrumors regular

It does look terrifying indeed...but I just ordered a high-res glossy from iFixit and will try to put it on my late 2008 2.8GHz C2D I already have a 48GB ExpressCard SSD in, 6GB of RAM and a pair of 500GB 7200RPM hard drives in RAID 0. All late 2008 15's have the lower-res screen, but since iFixit says it can be done, I'll give it a shot because I'm getting vertical banding that I understand is 95% likely to be from display failure. If I can fix this, it'll be a pretty capable machine again, and it is a bit fun to think that this machine in 3 ways exceeds original specs (RAM, storage capacity...I pulled the optical drive, and resolution). ...but I'll probably just kill the machine all together with the "very difficult" installation.