Can I Request A New Part If My MacBook Pro Is Damaged Out of the Box?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MICHAELSD, Dec 22, 2008.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The bottom right of the main system cover on my new MacBook Pro came a little chipped off where it meets with the battery cover. It's not a big amount of scratches, but it is visible. I don't want a system that costs so much to come scratched out of the box. Other than that, everything else is perfect: LG screen, no "aluminum dust", the battery cover isn't loose, etc. Do you guys think Apple will send me a new system cover, which can be replaced easily? I'm going to call them either later tonight or tomorrow. I tried to take a picture with my iPhone, but it didn't come out in the picture. Anyone have any experience getting a replacement part from Apple from Apple if a part comes damaged out of the box?

2. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Based on everything else I would insist on only replacing the bottom cover (which should also be in Apple's best interest).

I don't think the jury is out on LG vs. Chimei. Chimei is apparently not as bright but colors are less washed out.

3. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Yeah, that's what I was asking if I could do. I said that I didn't want to replace the whole system since everything else is perfect. I would want to replace it myself since it's so easy to do.

4. Muler36 macrumors member

to be honest, i'd expect a new laptop, not a repair/replaced part. I took my unibody MBP back after one of the keys stopped working, and got a brand new MBP then and there, so Id definitely expect them to for a damaged part like that

5. Nate025 macrumors regular

Right, but as I understand it you're talking about a repair job which required a complete replacement of the unibody chassis as per Apple specs. Even with that aside, why take a chance on a completely different laptop if nothing else is chipped/damaged/malfunctioning sans the main bottom panel? The new machine could have other defects not present in his current laptop.

Bottom line, OP, give Apple a call and you'll get a far better answer than you'll ever receive on these boards.

6. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

From my experience, no matter what is wrong, you'll have to bring it to a store to get it fixed or replaced, or send it in to the depot. I just went through this with a broken key on my keyboard. Would have been simple enough for Apple to just send me a new key in a 42 cent envelope and call it good, but no... they had to take it in and now I'm without my laptop... again... Ugh...

Your results may vary.

7. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The entire bottom part had to be replaced on yours because of the unibody design. Separate keys aren't removable on the new 2008 model. There is a small nick on the top cover that was definitely there when I got my MacBook Pro and some really small nicks on the inside of the case, which I doubt I made from just resting my palms there, though they aren't as visible as the bottom cover, which can be easily replaced, so I'll just ask for that part instead of risking another machine.

8. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

If it's within 14days you can get a new replacement laptop no problem.

9. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Apparently they are removable since mine was removing itself! I think I will get it back either tomorrow or Friday.