can i return apple warranty replacement phone to AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hollowplayer, Oct 22, 2011.

1. hollowplayer, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

hollowplayer macrumors regular

My release day 4s home button was too way loose wiggling all four directions. Went to AT&T for exchange, was asked to use warranty from apple. So i called apple they sent one with dead pixel and was replaced by genius bar. Now that my genius bar replacement phone last 9 hours standby 2 hours usage with everything off and they refused to do anything with it, reason was i had two replacement phones within 3 days so it must be my problem. Which is ridiculous and rude, the fact is the one apple sent out had dead pixel and i didnt even set it up before returned to genius bar. So is it possible that i can return this genius bar replacement phone to AT&T and buy a new one later on when they have them instock, will they accept replacement phone with different serial#?

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Sorry but no, you can't return an Apple warranty unit to AT&T.

Dave

3. hollowplayer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, what should i do... Genius bar was rude and unreasonable, i explained that apple sent with dead pixel and replacement reason was all documented and recorded even with condition noted(new) and they refused to do anything with my battery draining phone.

4. C N Reilly macrumors regular

Honestly, I'd just go back to the Apple Store again, during a time that would likely have a different shift of employees. This sort of thing is usually just based on the mood of the "Genius", and simply asking someone else will get you the results you want.

I've read about people in the past unlucky enough to have five or six bad iPhones in a row, and the Apple Store's still replaced them all.

Edit: Don't forget in a worst-case scenario, you can always call your credit card and dispute the charge ... unless you paid cash.

5. Texran macrumors regular

I'd give the phone a few discharges before raising much of a fuss.
    Go back and perhaps get a different genius, or call Apple.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You can't take the refurbished phone to AT&T.

7. hollowplayer, Oct 22, 2011

hollowplayer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!! But i wish i had kept the original one even with home button wiggling. I am afraid they might reject the warranty service in the future. From what ive seen today, they basically told me to piss off even thought my tone was calm. I am gonna try my luck with ATT see if they find out the serial# difference...

----------

Nah, this is 4s. But i think both replacements i got were exchanged or returned from previous customers, my luck couldnt be this bad that end up with a dead pixel and a bad battery.

8. dave006, Oct 22, 2011

dave006 Contributor

dave006

Try a calibration of the battery after reviewing this information.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

You can always call Apple Care and get the rep to document your poor battery performance before you go to the retail store. It often helps push the Genius in the right direction.

I don't see any benefit in your attempt to return the iPhone 4S and wait for AT&T to get more in 30 days? It is not going to have a different battery.

Just continue to work with Apple on the warranty phones. Please note that there are a number of threads on battery life here in the forum.

Here is the biggest thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1253142

Dave

9. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Wow... talk about some grade A bull-**** given to me by both ATT reps that I spoke with. They both said as long as I had documentation that the warranty unit was from Apple they had no problem taking it back within the 30 days. Guess they simply wanted to lock in a sale... :rolleyes:

10. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Did you get this in writing?

This is not special to the iPhone, during the return period with AT&T, they require you to return the same device you purchased. This is no different than most retail stores that allow returns. Read your receipt concerning the specific return policy. :confused:

Dave

11. hollowplayer thread starter macrumors regular

Greatly appreciated Dave i will calibrate my battery and try it for a few more days, if battery situation is not 65% of iphone 4 i will definitely try ATT.

----------

yeah, i have records and everything. I will try ATT, dont wanna deal with genius bar anymore, they treated me like i am sorta OCD or something. I should have show them i bought more than 10 devices from apple in the past and 0 warranty claim.:(

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Agreed. AT&T doesn't want to get ripped off; they'll check the serial numbers for a match.

13. DroidRules macrumors 65816

You're not?

Maybe try another store near you.

14. hollowplayer thread starter macrumors regular

come on man, i had iphone 4 3gs and 3 all of them had solid and smooth home button, i thought original one was DOA. You cant blame me on returning the phone with dead pixel, its only 3 inches.

15. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Not blaming you for anything.... you just seem a bit ocd. Like I said, try another store near you.

Trust me, I have returned a lot of i's for tons of issues. Dust under the screen being a big one with 3g/3gs.

16. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

I had 8 iPhone 4 replacements. None of which were ever questioned.