Can I return my iPhone 5 to the Apple Store and buy it back for full price?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fsolano, Oct 9, 2012.

1. fsolano macrumors member

Just like the title says, is it possible for me to return an iPhone 5 I reserved online to an Apple Store and immediately buy it back for full price? I changed my mind and I decided that I don't want to be tied down with Verizon for 2 years.

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Has it been over 14 days?

3. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I did the opposite last round. I bought an unsubsidized iphone and then thought better of it. I went to the store and told the guy I wanted it subsidized. He returned it and sold me my same phone.

Now, that was after the initial rush...like day 29 of the 30 days.

4. fsolano thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it has been under 14 days, I mostly want to know if they'll be able to turn it around and sell it to me device only on the spot. Who knows? They might have to take it in and put back into the stores inventory before they can sell it again?:confused:

Edit: Also, I'm worried about them telling me that they don't sell iPhone 5s off contract. I know it is possible because so many people on here have had success buying it off contract. The question is if the retail employees know how to do that...

5. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

According to a store rep that checked with the manager and the Verizon sales rep on launch day, no. They cannot guarantee you get the same phone back. Once they take the return, it goes back through their system (you cannot just get it right back or just change the transaction).

You can return outright, and get a different phone if they have it in stock if you are within the return window.

I tried to do the opposite (I bought unsubsidized on launch day and wanted to get the subsidized price later).

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

You have 30 days

7. fsolano thread starter macrumors member

I know I have 30 days... That wasn't the question...

8. LoloBond macrumors 6502

He has 30 days but he loses his upgrade...

----------

your best bet is to go a your local store and try...

9. fsolano thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice haha. Just wanted to see if anyone knew before I actually went in.

10. LoloBond macrumors 6502

There is not way to know unless you're an employee that know their return process. Where I work returns can't be sold until QA gives the OK in the system.

11. at7 macrumors newbie

I don't know if you're still around or you haven't done it yet, but actually i just did the almost the same thing today. I reserved an iPhone 5 with 2 year contract with Verizon, return it and got it as device only for full price.
    What was different from your situation was: I ordered with a new number, not porting out my AT&T number.
    The rep told me at first I already paid for the device with 2-year contract when I checked out online store and would not be able to change it to just device only. But I persisted a bit and she said she could first sell it, return it right away and re-sell the device only to me. So I said, ok let's do it.
    The whole process from where I started with the rep to where I got the device with no commitment took only 15 minutes or so. The longest wait was when the rep and I was waiting for the staff to bring the actual item from the stock. She just proceeded the in-store pickup as normal, and then return process right away right there. She said it would take a bit to process the return, but it was only 2 minutes or so before she started the repurchase process. I paid the full price for my Verizon iPhone 5, and done.

My question is returning the item automatically cancels my Verizon account successfully. I read somewhere that it does cancel the service automatically but the rep told me to call Verizon and make sure if the account is closed. I called them a couple of hours after I came home, but my Verizon account was still active and they said the Apple Store I went in has to call them to stop the account. I am not sure when they're going to do it so I have to call Verizon tomorrow again and might have to go back to the Apple Store to ask them to do it.

I guess this is not your case as it sounds like you're porting out your number or you already have a Verizon account, but probably your case is easier I think.

Anyways, this is my experience and hope this is helpful.

12. tburk32 macrumors member

I have a similar situation. I just reserved an iPhone to pick up tomorrow to replace a launch day phone that I received with imperfections. I want to return my phone that I have apple care on and replace it with the new phone. Hopefully it will not be flawed. Is this going to be an issue? I definitely feel weird returning a phone just to buy a new one that will be identical but I would prefer to create my own imperfections. Do I need to create an appointment to return a device and purchase a new one that I have reserved?

13. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

I asked two apple employees if I could do that they firmly said "no" too many people were doing this. They were told by management not to do it anymore. Ths was at the brea apple store.

14. at7 macrumors newbie

Why would you buy a new one? I think in your case you don't have to buy a new phone, just make a reservation for Genius Bar, bring yours in and tell them what was wrong with it and they'll replace it with a new one for free. But I'm not sure what you meant by "imperfections." If it was already there when you received your iPhone, replacing it should be no problem. The question is, whether or not they have the same model as yours in stock.
    If you really need to return yours and get a new one that you reserved, you just go in with your iPhone and the original receipt then tell the rep that you want to return it and buy a new one.

15. yoshimeow macrumors member

just cancel your contract and pay the early termination fee.

16. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

Activation and one month service.

17. Hpye macrumors 6502

no need to do that just pay early termination fee and ask them to unlock it..same price after etf