Can I run a MacBook Pro through a PC monitor with consistent results?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by multiplier, Jun 10, 2010.

1. multiplier macrumors newbie

I think I'm one of the rare people who does not like the trend of Apple cinema displays getting larger and larger, and the resolution getting higher which is tough on my poor eyes, as well as giving my mousing arm fatigue. But if I reduce the res, the quality turns muddy.

So...I'm considering running my MacBook through a flat panel display intended for a PC. But, I use Photoshop from time to time and want to make sure the color is precise on both laptop and display. I guess I could use a hardware colorimeter?

Can anyone recommend a great high-end flat panel for PCs that is between 18"-22" and doesn't require native resolution higher than 1440 or 1680? Are there any other foreseeable problems with this approach?

2. menomano macrumors member

there's no such thing as a PC monitor/panel if they have the connector that you need then they will work.
    Dell has some really good IPS panels, go look them up on their website.

3. copland007 macrumors member

copland007

yup I 2nd that, I run 3 different Dell UltraSharps at home, great monitors!

If you are doing serious photo work invest in a calibration device, I've used this guy with what I would consider fairly good results considering price range:

http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-EODIS2-Eye-One-Display-2/dp/B000JLO31M

I haven't calibrated my MBP with it yet, just my 3 dell ultrasharps so I can't speak for how close they all are calibration wise

4. toffa813 macrumors regular

You can buy any monitor out there for any computer. My friend has an Apple Display hooked up to his custom built PC and I'm using an Acer monitor with my new Macbook Pro right now. I have an Acer x193w (1440x900 res) and I love having the extra space. It's not high end, it was $100 on sale on Newegg. Since I don't have a high end monitor I cannot recommend a specific one, I say just go on Newegg and sort by rating or price, or however you want to do it. You'll just have to buy a $30 adapter from Apple, or find one online somewhere.

Heck, you could even buy a TV if you really wanted to for dual functionality.