Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
There's an app that runs on iOS9 that I am interested in, but I don't want to run it on an iOS device - instead, I want to run it on my 10.11.6 El Capitan.

Is there some way to do this? Emulator, or whatnot? I'd like to do it without any jailbreaking etc.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I wish it were possible to run iOS apps on Mac despite being optimized for touch input, but unfortunately, Apple has been very strict about not letting apps from one platform run on another (except for iOS app development).

I'm also not aware of any iOS emulators for MacOS that can run iOS apps. If the app has an Android counterpart, there are ways to run Android apps on Mac.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Too bad... I was hoping to run this on my imac:

Brian Eno: Reflection

The only iOS device I have is my 6G iPT, and I honestly see little point in running the app on it. I mean, even if I hook up the iPT to my iMac, the sound from the iPT chip is so poor, it's only insulting to listen to it on big speakers.

My iMac is hooked up to self-powered speakers and that's how I listen to music. Listening to anything off the iPT is a terrible experience either way, on its own or through the iMac.

But if you can't, you can't. I must say, Brian Eno is usually a very forward thinking and technology aware guy, but having it confined only to the mobile platform is a real oversight. Tons of people (like me) just don't listen to music through their mobile devices.

Oh well.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Too bad... I was hoping to run this on my imac:

Brian Eno: Reflection

The only iOS device I have is my 6G iPT, and I honestly see little point in running the app on it. I mean, even if I hook up the iPT to my iMac, the sound from the iPT chip is so poor, it's only insulting to listen to it on big speakers.

My iMac is hooked up to self-powered speakers and that's how I listen to music. Listening to anything off the iPT is a terrible experience either way, on its own or through the iMac.

But if you can't, you can't. I must say, Brian Eno is usually a very forward thinking and technology aware guy, but having it confined only to the mobile platform is a real oversight. Tons of people (like me) just don't listen to music through their mobile devices.

Oh well.
Why not search the AppStore and the internet? Maybe there is a Mac version of the same thing? Some iOS apps have equal cousins in the Mac App Store.

StevePaselli

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2016
Italy
Why not search the AppStore and the internet? Maybe there is a Mac version of the same thing? Some iOS apps have equal cousins in the Mac App Store.
[doublepost=1492383037][/doublepost]Buy a multitrack iOS audio interface, those are normally used for recording, but many have outputs too, with decent converters. But i think the audio out jack on your iOS device must be broken, or maybe there's an impedance mismatch with your powered speakers, because in my experience the audio output on iOS stuff is a fairly standard quality line level out.

Reactions: 26139

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
[doublepost=1492383037][/doublepost]Buy a multitrack iOS audio interface, those are normally used for recording, but many have outputs too, with decent converters. But i think the audio out jack on your iOS device must be broken, or maybe there's an impedance mismatch with your powered speakers, because in my experience the audio output on iOS stuff is a fairly standard quality line level out.
If you use good headphones or loudspeaker systems,there is nothing wrong with the sound quality,but of course,any compression of digital music files give some quality loss compared to uncompressed analog sound files like magnetic tapes or old style vinyl records. However,for normal music experiences,that little difference is not early important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.