Can i run Tiger 10.4.11 on the Brand New Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fab5freddy, Jan 17, 2008.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Can i run Tiger 10.4.11 on the Brand New Mac Pro?

i was told by somebody, that the Mac Pros can only run Leopard.....?
    don't believe him though......

thanks!

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You can only run Leopard on the new Mac Pros.

Tiger not only doesn't know what the hardware is, but there are no retail versions of Tiger for Intel at all. That means the Tiger installs for Intel that do exist are customized to only install on specific hardware.

3. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

that's weird......why couldn't i take my previous Mac PRo Install Disk and use that on the Brand new Mac Pro ?

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Your old install disks don't have the drivers and what not to run the hardware in the new computer.

5. Toups macrumors regular

I dont want to come across as rude, but please please PLEASE try to read the post on the first page or try the search before posting the same question that had been answered twice already in the last 24 hours.

Tiger does not have the driver base to support the new Mac Pro and a work around will be a little while out, if you have a compelling reason, I would buy a used 8-core as prices are falling to about the same as a new 2.8 similarly configured. Otherwise, get the early 08 and update the applications you may be using as they become available.

6. Random Chaos macrumors member

As I recall when the 2007 8-core Mac Pro came out, benchmarks ranked it no faster than the 4-core version because Tiger isn't optimized for more than 4 cores. Ergo, even if you somehow get Tiger working on the latest gen Mac Pro, you won't really get much (if any) benefit over the previous gen Mac Pro. You need Leopard to make full use of all 8 cores.