Can I sell the free phone from ATT?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by adamk77, Jan 6, 2008.

1. adamk77 macrumors 6502

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a regular (non-iPhone) plan through AT&T's web site yesterday. With the new 2 year contract, they are also sending me a free phone.

I called AT&T and they told me that I need to send my free phone back or I'll end up with 2 contracts. This doesn't make sense to me. I know existing AT&T customers can just add the data plan and switch over to the iPhone.

Does anyone have experience with this? I want to keep the free phone and sell it to offset the cost of the iPhone. Can I just use the free phone they sent me, and then after a few days, switch over to the iPhone, or do I really have to send that one back?

Thanks for your help!

2. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

It was most likely small print, I think you need to just send it back in.

3. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

There was much discussion of this when the iPhone was released and the consensus was that you certainly could keep the phone. You wanted a new AT&T contract and free phone -- you buy it, then you decide to give yourself a hardware upgrade. Because it is an iPhone, it resets your 2 year contract but you certainly can keep the phone.

If it was 1 month later, would you be required to return the original phone -- how about if it were 1 year later? The answer to both is no -- you just start the 2 year contract over.