Can I set up a single 1TB fantom drive as a 500GB mirror raid 1?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bonzocat, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Bonzocat macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just got a 1TB fantom gforce megadisk to use as a backup drive. I know it has two 500 GB drives in the enclosure (at least I think that's what's in there). My question is: can I use this single enclosure as a 500GB mirror raid 1 with each separate internal drive as one of the mirrors? I'd like to do an incremental backup as well as store some data that might not fit on my MBP's drive, but still be covered in case one of the Fantom drives fails. The problem is that I haven't found a way to see both drives in the enclosure as separate drives, so I'm not sure I can do this. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

My setup: Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz

2. klymr macrumors 65816

Not sure. I heard that you can un-jumper the two 500GB drives and use them separately. You'd have to get a hold of Fantom for that one though.

How do you like the drive? I am thinking about getting one but not sure I want to make the plunge.

3. Bonzocat thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what Fantom said:

can I use this single enclosure as a 500GB mirror
    * No. Configured as a single, not modifiable, terabyte unit.

thought about creating two separate partitions
    * this is not a good idea as drive failure would kill both partitions.
    Better to get two separate units.

As for the drive, I haven't really used it much yet since I was going to try to set up a raid. It is pretty small, it's very quiet, seems solid. The stand that comes with it is lame. I actually bought 2 of them (one for each of 2 computers) but now might try to figure out how to use them as a network backup raid for both computers...though I think that might require more hardware. I currently have a Linksys Wireless Router as my network...

4. pmartin macrumors regular

You could always buy an external enclosure that does support RAID 1 and then move the drives to that.

5. Bonzocat thread starter macrumors newbie

6. fiendish macrumors newbie

They lied to you. You just have to remove a jumper. This requires opening the enclosure, though, which will void your warranty because Fantom sucks.

Here are details about the enclosure and the jumper:
    http://www.cooldrives.com/dusahadrfi80.html

7. Bonzocat thread starter macrumors newbie