Can I sleep just one monitor?

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Hey!

I have 2 Apple TB monitors hooked up to my Mini, so one monitor is daisy chained to the other.

Sometimes at night, like right now, having both monitors on is just too much.

If I just wanna check email and surf, I don't need both monitors on.

Is there an easy way to just sleep one of the monitors?

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
Hey!

I have 2 Apple TB monitors hooked up to my Mini, so one monitor is daisy chained to the other.

Sometimes at night, like right now, having both monitors on is just too much.

If I just wanna check email and surf, I don't need both monitors on.

Is there an easy way to just sleep one of the monitors?
Don't they have power switches... ?

TurretOperetta

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2012
If they don't have a power button, can't you just reach behind the second one and unplug the thunderbolt cable? It's not an ideal solution but it accomplishes what you want.

To specifically answer your program, there isn't a way to sleep just one monitor through software. Only "hardware" solutions like the ones that have been given.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Nope they DO NOT have power buttons. Completely controlled by the Mac.

Hmmmm ok. I had been hoping there was a software shortcut, or keyboard shortcut to just kill the second monitor...

But, pulling the TB cable does work....

JohnRocks

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2010
I think hook your monitor up via a KVM switch and simply switch the video input to an inactive input. KVM switches tend to be designed for higher cycles than power switches, and if needed, you could always replace the switch assembly with one you know is rated for millions of cycles.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
I think hook your monitor up via a KVM switch and simply switch the video input to an inactive input. KVM switches tend to be designed for higher cycles than power switches, and if needed, you could always replace the switch assembly with one you know is rated for millions of cycles.
I don't believe that there is a KVM switch that works with the Thunderbolt displays.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Well, the reason for wanting to shut down a monitor was that in the dark at night - it was just so bright.

So I just installed Nocturne and it works perfect. Inverts the monitor right from the task bar so I can leave my email open on it - and it is all black with white text. So much easier on the eyes now for surfing and email in the dark...

Before and After

Attachments

Last edited:

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Well, the reason for wanting to shut down a monitor was that in the dark at night - it was just so bright.

So I just installed Nocturne and it works perfect. Inverts the monitor right from the task bar so I can leave my email open on it - and it is all black with white text. So much easier on the eyes now for surfing and email in the dark...

Before and After
Control + Option + Command +8 does the same natively.