Can I SSH pictures into my Camera Roll? I restored to a new phone.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Corn Chips, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Corn Chips macrumors member

After restoring to a new phone (I again had a wallpaper get locked into place on me, and couldn't change it) I lost all my pictures.
    I want to know if there's any way I can get them back into my camera roll other than emailing them to myself, opening up the pictures, and saving each and every one of them.
    It would be really convenient if there were a folder I can put my pics into using SSH.

Oh, and I've SSH'd before, so I have WinSCP, but I forgot if all I need on my iPhone is OpenSSH or is there something else?

2. sagittaru macrumors member

sagittaru

cant directly copy pic to the folder on explorer?

3. dpow macrumors newbie

if you put all of the pictures in one email and send them to yourself, there is a "save all" option instead of doing each photo individually.

4. Corn Chips thread starter macrumors member

I remember I tried that but it didn't save them all. Plus I had to open up them all before so it's not much less work even if it does work correctly.

5. Love Juice macrumors regular

/ private / var / mobile / Media / DCIM

100APPLE is where photos you take go
    999APPLE is where your screenshots go

forget where the wallpaper icons are stored though

6. Corn Chips thread starter macrumors member

Can I just put them in there? I had no pictures, so I just took one and now the 100APPLE folder shows up, along with the pic.
    Only thing is, there's also a .THM file to go with the .jpg.
    Will the other pics be ok if I just throw them in there without a .thm file?

7. mattdogg02 macrumors newbie

As mentioned above, can't you just open up My Computer and see the Apple iPhone as a device when connected? Then just drag your pictures onto it... they will be in your Photos, but not the Camera Roll, but does it matter?

8. Corn Chips thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it bothers me having two different folders.

9. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

Any luck with not having the .THM file? I want the same thing you do. All my photos from all firmware versions together in my Camera Roll folder.

10. DN7335 macrumors 6502

Not criticizing, but wouldn't it have been quicker/easier to just try it and see what happens?

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Make a jpg thumbnail of your photo and rename it to .THM in the same format as the other photos.

I've set up an automator action to automatically take selected images and save them as iPhone compatible camera images as well as make thumbnails for them.

12. The General macrumors 601

Why do you need them in the camera roll? Why can't you just sync them in with your photos?

Anyway, no need to jailbreak for this and no need for SSH either. Just attach all of the photos in one email. Email that 1 email to yourself. Open that email on your phone. See all the photos? Tap and hold one of the images and there will be an option to save all. Hit save all and all the photos will be in the camera roll again.

Your response to the other guy who suggested this makes exactly no sense. If you have the images, it's like 4 steps to get this to work. There's no reason why it shouldn't work. Maybe you don't understand what we're saying.

But I still wonder why you can't just have them in your photos and why they must be in the camera roll ...

13. zakiu macrumors newbie

I'm also wondering what format and in which directory the .THM files go. I want to pull a prank with my phone but do not know how to add images to my photo album at a date from a while ago.

14. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

You can use e.g. i-FunBox (iFunBox) for direct image transfer to the camera roll if you have Windows. It's a completely iTunes-less solution.

(I'll examine the Mac OS X-compatible alternatives too - just working on a related article.)

15. Alveezy macrumors regular

I use the app Photosync for both iPhone & Mac to backup and put back pictures from my iPhone. it's really easy and convenient.

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

It has always amazed me that Apple has provided a method to save, store, manipulate and sync the photos on the iPhone, but for some reason people insist on keeping them on the camera roll.
    Keeping them on camera roll means at some point you will likely loose them, just as OP has.

Must be an OCD thing. :confused:

17. CaliChris macrumors newbie

I know this is old but I just came across it. You can do this, just copy the picture files into /private/var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE/, then go into /private/var/mobile/Media/PhotoData/ and delete or rename (to be safe) the Photos.sqlite files. Launch the Photos app and your photos should show up in the camera roll.

18. C5Longhorn, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

C5Longhorn macrumors regular

Where do you locate this directory? Is it on the phone when it's connected to the PC? I'm trying to do this exact thing now after I restore my phone as new.

Also, is this only for jailbroken phones?

Rick