Can I start service with an iPhone 2g with AT&T and go month to month?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alm99, Feb 14, 2010.

1. alm99 macrumors 6502

Bought an iPhone 2g from a friend and currently have it on T-Mobile, the service is terrible with them. Is it possible to activate with AT&T an not be in a contract? I called them and the service rep wasn't sure. If I am bringing my own device I don't see why I would need to be in contract.

Thanks

2. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure if you are bring a iphone do there network is doesn't matter where got it you have to sign a two year agreement unless you jailbreak. I could be wrong I haven't looked into it to much but I think that is what I have seen floating around.

3. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Go to an AT&T corporate store if you can. If not go to an actual AT&T store, not a 3rd party authorized store.

They will TRY to make you sign in a 2yr contract. The service rep gets commission for everyone he signs into a contract. But if you ask for the manager, explain the situation then they WILL let you sign up without a contract.

But to be honest you are really better off just buying a brand new iPhone 3GS on contract if you are going to switch to AT&T.

4. alm99 thread starter macrumors 6502

I would, but I do not want to be in a contract.

5. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Unless you plan on going months without a cell phone what is the big deal about getting into a contract?

Besides the iPhone is the best cell phone and it will be on AT&T for a long time, even if other carriers get it, you may as well just join the party.

6. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Considering that their contract factors in the subsidization of the phone, it would make sense that you could go without contract with your own phone. I know T-Mobile has a contract option, which costs more but includes a phone, or a monthly option that offers no phone discount.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, go talk to a manager and insist on what you want done.
    Theres no reason to make you sign in a contract if you bring your own device.