Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kanit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Caltech
Okay, so i got an iphone 4 in August. The iphone 5 will probably launch sometime in Oct right?? I wanted to know if i can get an iphone 5 on my existing contract?? or will i have to wait for my current contract to expire to get new phone(at subsidized price with a contract)??
Forgive me if this is stupid but i just came to US last month as a international college student and was wondering if this would work??
Also i will be returning back to my country for vacations, so can i call at&t and get my phone unlocked so i can use it while i am there.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Yes and no.

You do not need to wait for your two years to be up and contract to be expired... you do have to wait until you are eligible for an upgrade which is determined by how much money you spend. You can find out online when that will be.

hawk1410

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
I was wondering how long does one have to wait before they become eligible for an upgrade??

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Enter *639# to check your eligibility to upgrade--but if you just bought last month, the answer is no. You'll pay full price.

And AT&T doesn't unlock iPhones, ever, for any reason.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
In response to the above poster, there is no yes or no about it. The OP asked if he could get an iPhone at the subsidized price while under contract, and the answer is no. Early upgrades aren't available until after a year, either. Also, AT&T will not provide iPhone unlocking, although they do have international plans available on other carriers when abroad.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Even if you aren't eligible for an upgrade, you can pay the full price for the phone.

Last edited:

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
You can upgrade at anytime. Even one month later. You will pay full price for it but it is done all the time. Many people will not wait for an upgrade price. :)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
He's not asking about full price. He wants the subsidized price.
So if he's still under contract he will have to contact AT&T to find out when his account would be up for a hardware upgrade.
As far as unlocking AT&T does not unlock any iPhones at all. So the phone will not accept any other carriers sim.
If you do buy it full price from Apple it will be carrier unlocked.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
It has nothing to do with your monthly bill....AT&T is not like Sprint.
That is 100% wrong. It surly has to do with your monthly bill in how early you are able to get fully subsidized pricing. My main line on my family plan is available for full subsidized upgrades in about a year and my other lines in about 18 months.

OP just sell your iPhone 4 and buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple when the iPhone 5 comes out. Not sure if the unlocked version will be available at launch but should be available soon there after. It shouldn't cost you more then 300-400 or maybe less to do it that way. then you can use the phone back home. ATT does not unlock iPhones.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Okay, so i got an iphone 4 in August. The iphone 5 will probably launch sometime in Oct right?? I wanted to know if i can get an iphone 5 on my existing contract?? or will i have to wait for my current contract to expire to get new phone(at subsidized price with a contract)??
Forgive me if this is stupid but i just came to US last month as a international college student and was wondering if this would work??

No. You're stuck with your contract. You could consider either selling your contract to someone else (transfer of responsibility), selling your iPhone 4 and putting an iPhone 5 (bought at full retail price) on your account, or you could put a dumbphone on your iPhone 4 line, drop it down to like 10 or 15 bucks a month and sign a new contract with the iPhone 5.

Also i will be returning back to my country for vacations, so can i call at&t and get my phone unlocked so i can use it while i am there.

No. Never. Ever. Ever!

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
All I can say is my wife and I have upgraded to a new iphone after a year for every iphone since the 3g. We pay on 3 lines and all have web access, 2 unlimited 1 the 2g. We sign a a 2 new year contract and an ATT guy day is made by selling 2 new iphones( always buy at an ATT store).

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Sorry, I had no idea people actually paid over $200 a month for a single cell phone.

Wow, you cant be that clueless.
Like the others said above your comment was false.
The amount you pay every month does play a roll on when you will get a subsidy. So learn and accept your mistakes in life instead of acting childish when you make a mistake.

Yes, but the earlier upgrades only qualify if a SINGLE line on a Family Plan is over a certain price.

That is false also.
We're not talking about early upgrades.
The main line on a family plan with an average bill of over $100 a month before taxes qualifies for a full subsidy every year.
The other phones on that account might not but the main account holder does.

disarticulate

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
On Dec 5th, 2010 (10 months ago), I upgraded to the iPhone 4. I am eligible to upgrade for an additional $250. Not a bad deal if you ask me considering I just sold my iPhone 4 16GB on eBay for $425. I'm using my old 3G until the next one comes out. I have 3 lines on my AT&T family plan and average bill is $180/mo. I've been an iPhone/AT&T user since the Sept 2007 price drop. Not sure if this is the norm or not, but just putting the facts out there for others to compare.

2r6z8uq.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.