Can I still get use out of my 2012 MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kylera, Dec 13, 2015.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

My 2012 MacBook Air (1.8Ghz i5 Ivy Bridge) gave the "service battery" warning, and the technician at a nearby authorized service center said that my battery no longer holds a long-enough charge due to wear and tear. That's all fine and dandy since it is to be expected after near-daily portable use.

My question now is, can I still get 2-3 years' worth of use out of this model after opting for a new battery? My tasks aren't overly taxing - word processing, making presentations, watching offline or online videos, and I've yet to witness any slowdown despite updating OS X to El Capitan. I don't code and the only games I've played on my Air are the likes of Sudoku or Freecell - very non-intensive.

2. chrfr macrumors 603

3. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

IMNSHO yes, absolutely. Especially if you've been pleased with it until this point.

4. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

I'll admit that while the Retina models have been really attractive, I need to save up for more important things at this point, so the best I can do is getting a new battery and hoping I can last for another two or three years.

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Absolutely, no doubt. The 2012s still have plenty of life in them.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

If you like it now I can't see why you wouldn't continue to like it for a few more years. OTOH, battery life increased substantially starting with the 2013 models, approaching twice as long depending on your use. And the 802.11ac wifi is considerably faster, makes quite a difference if you want to access network drives over wifi.

So you could make a case for upgrading if these things are important to you. I had a 2011 MBA and upgraded in 2013. That was an even bigger step up though because the 2011 MBA still had USB 2.0. But the increased battery life really makes a big difference. And I often copy large files and do screen sharing on my LAN, so the faster wifi is a big plus too.