Can I (still) use my original iPhone by just swapping in my current 4S sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by james92se, Aug 5, 2012.

1. james92se macrumors 6502a

In the past, in the few weeks between selling my current iPhone and getting the new one, I'd just use my original iPhone in the interim (with the help of a microsim adapter obviously once I went to the 4). I hope to do this again this year - but-

I can't seem to find it right now, but I could have sworn I read something earlier in the year or maybe late last year about AT&T not letting that happen any longer. It was something about they charged you some fee automatically if you did that, or screwed with your data plan or some such.

Can anybody confirm/deny?

OR - if not, if I take my original iPhone to ATT will they supply me with a full-size SIM to pop in and go? Will my unlimited data plan remain unchanged?

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

So long as your SIM goes into a smartphone your data plan should not change. Did you check the iPhone 2Gs SIM slot for the adapter? You probably left it in there for safe keeping.

3. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tinkered with the old phone last night and recalled one of my gripes with it. I couldn't ever get it to activate through iTunes a year or two ago when I last used it (and evidenced by the massive complaints on the apple support pages it seems this is a major problem with the first gen phones), so I had to "hacktivate" it and it's jail broken/unlocked. Well after playing with it last night I quickly realized that my notifications weren't working, which I had forgotten about during the past year or so I havent used it. I've tried Push Doctor and several other "fixes" in the past none of which worked. Obviously, notifications not working makes for a nearly useless phone.

I did some searching online and found PushFix which is $6 but worked like a charm. Popped my 4S SIM in along with a SIM adapter (and made very sure to tape down the SIM - made the mistake last year of not doing that and had the adapter catch the little prongs on my SIM reader and ruin it, causing me to have to buy a complete new motherboard!) and everything works proper, thankfully. I'll sell the 4S the first week of September and use the original iPhone for the couple weeks before the 5 release. It's slow these days and EDGE is excrutiatingly slow, but itll tide me over for a week or two.

4. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

5. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by this?

6. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

No problem.
    To download the required cydia app you first need to add the repository I provided.

Without doing so you will not locate PushFix. With it added to your sources, you then will be able to.

7. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, sorry I guess I wasn't clear in my earlier post. I already added it to my sources and installed PushFix already, which is working great. I'm quite pleased with it especially after all the trouble I went through last year trying to find a fix for it

8. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I was thinking of others who would read your thread and want to do as you did. . .

9. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. Eosblue macrumors member

The way I've handled this matter on the last 2 IPs (3G and IP4) was to restore the phone to factory setting. Then, set it to forward calls to a different phone number). I have one of those ATT $9.99 additional phones which I use for this.

I don't see why your method wouldn't work as well UNLESS there really is some software on the sim card that prevents using the IP 4 S sim card in another phone.

If you do go to an ATT store, I suggest you find a franchise ATT shop. The shop I use is franchised and the 2 guys that run it are VERY accommodating as to swapping sim cards in various IPs. On my IP4 S, I actually updated my additional phone (the $9.99 phone) since my IP4 was not eligible last Oct. Then before doing ANYTHING with it, I took it into the ATT shop where they did some Sim "MAGIC" and changed the new 4S to my regular number that wasn't eligible. Then they changed the sim in the IP4 to my wife's separate phone (she never had an IP before).

After trying the IP4 for about 3 weeks, she said she wanted the IP. At that time, her standard ATT ($9.99) phone was eligible for an upgrade so we got her a new IP4 S which came with a sim that had her working number.

I then retired the IP4 and sold it.

In my switch-a-roo above I did keep my unlimited plan. When the new phone comes out, I'm probably going to let the unlimited plan "sunset" as I don't see any advantage in an unlimited plan that throttles somewhere between 2 and 3 GBs and I like the concept of sharing data with all our home phones along with occasionally tethering to a laptop/tablet.

To summarize, all the sim switching was done by my friendly 2 man ATT franchise ATT store for no charge. I should note that I bought the 2 IP4 S models from them rather than Apple or ATT.com. I have no idea if a standard ATT store would be as accommodating.

11. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I still have my original iPhone that I can still use as a backup to my 4S if it is down/lost. Mine was unlocked by AT&T but I was able to use my 4S's SIM card beforehand without issue (with SIM adapter).

So for now, at least where I live, you can still use the original iPhone.

Since my original iPhone is unlocked I did get a cheap T-Mobile prepaid SIM to use with it as well. It was only a few bucks on Amazon (I paid less than the actual credit on the SIM) and I only added $10. I chose the 2$ per day plan, which includes only 2G data (unlimited), text, and voice for $2 per day (if I use it for data, text, or voice in a given day--I only used about $4 on that account in the last 3 months or so).

Michael