Can I Stop a Disk Utility Erase When It's @ 2 out of 7 Passes, Without Repercussions?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappyDude20, Jul 8, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm erasing my 500GB HD right now, beginning yesterday morning. Out of 7 passes, its currently at it's 2nd pass, with an estimated 2+ days remaining. In retrospect, I consider the amount of time left too long and don't really need the 7 passes. I'm glad I didn't go the 35 pass erase.

If I stop Disk Utility now, will my HD run into problems? I wouldn't mind stopping it, then restarting one more time with a 1-tme overwrite, if that would prevent any problems....

Advice?

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you can do that. You just need to format it again to be recognised, if that is what you want.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I did what you mentioned, reformatting it again, taking 8 hours for a one time pass...however, as pictured, the "waiting for discs to reappear" notification has been present for the past 2 hours...

I'm stuck, again.:eek:

Attached Files:

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Try quitting Disk Utility. If you can't, Force Quit it. If after that it's still malfunctioning, restart your computer. No harm can be done to the drive if all you're doing is erasing or formatting.