Can I store my iTunes movies on an external HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stanny, Oct 3, 2010.

1. stanny macrumors 6502

I would like to download some HD movies and stuff from iTunes. Thing is, I got not much space left. Can I store these movies on my external 2.0 USB hard disk?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can store any part or all of your iTunes library on external drives.

3. stanny thread starter macrumors 6502

Should I get a USB 3.0 external HD for this purpose? Those can connect to my MBP right?

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

No USB3 doesn't work with any Mac laptop yet.

You have two options 1 would be to create a new library on the external hardrive using the option key and have 1 separate for music.

2nd option: put the whole iTunes library onto the external harddrive without creating 2 different ones.

Cheers

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Those aren't your only 2 options. You can have 1 iTunes library, with part of the music on your internal HD and part on 1 or more externals. The same is true for your movies. You're not required to have a separate library for items on the external drive.

6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

You are right although my options were the simplest also it's easier if you can your things on 1 drive instead of half here / half there

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not necessarily easier. With everything in one library, it's easier to locate/sort/identify what you have. I keep lesser-used albums/artists/movies on an external drive, but I only have to deal with one library. It's very simple.

8. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

True although when it comes to backup you have to keep both locations in mind also I always have difficulties sorting out which ones I listen to rarely:)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The point remains, it's a very simple and viable solution, especially for those of us whose libraries won't fit on the internal drive. Whether you choose to use it or not doesn't diminish its effectiveness for other readers of this thread.

10. m.a.c.b.o.y macrumors member

I have all of my movies on an external hard drive because they take up so much room. It works great after I just added them without copying them in. I just have to make sure I accidentally click on a movie when the external hard drive isn't plugged in, because then it realizes the file can't be found and i have to show it the source again.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't have to browse and find it again. Simply attach the external drive, then Get Info on the file or files in iTunes and it will re-locate the files.

12. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Simple meh although I have to agree that it's a viable option as I keep my whole iTunes on an external as well.

13. stanny thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for a solution guys. Btw, what's this whole DRM stuff I am reading about? If I download movies on a certain computer and I want to redownload them on my Apple TV for example, I can do that? I just need to authorize that Apple TV with the account I bought it with right?