Can I sue the military for creating more terrorists than they are killing?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chew Toy McCoy, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

No doubt a lost cause but I think the national and global public would benefit from the case coverage.

2. 0007776 Suspended

You can sue for anything, that doesn't mean it won't get laughed out of court.

3. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I don’t think its laughable if you can present some initial evidence on how the actions of our military is making the world a less safe place for Americans, especially if you can show Americans weren’t in any significant danger until we started stirring the hornets' nests. I think the American public is at least owed this debate not controlled by corrupt party interests.

4. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Go for it. It will get tossed.

5. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

On what basis? I don’t think it would be too difficult to find individuals who weren’t radicalized until one of our military care packages killed some of their loved ones who also weren’t terrorists.

If our military was put in charge of decontaminating a river in the same fashion they would use buckets to just toss water onto the bank where some of the toxins would evaporate but most of it would just flow back into the river and contaminate the bank.

6. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Like I said, go for it. Post the case number when you do.

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

8. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Oh man are you serious? If not for our military we would be exposed to all kinds of full scale attacks and take-overs right here on our own soil. I understand what you are getting at but having a strong military presence has benefits that far outweigh the consequences.... Besides you can't really prove that military actions inspire all terrorist attacks, many are simply due to different beliefs in how we should conduct our lives. Anyway that's just my 2 cents, as a citizen of this country I would be ashamed to even suggest such a thing. I'd feel like I am spitting in the face of all those brave folks who risk their lives to keep me and my family safe, so we can walk down the street without worrying about a bomb dropping on us at any moment...not every country has that luxury.

9. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

There are countless people in the military who have no clue why we are really in the middle east or they have a clue and don’t agree with those real reasons. How about the thousands of military people who commit suicide over being in foreign wars we have no business being in? They gave their lives for nothing and it’s delusional to think otherwise.

Our military has been out of control for a long time and whoever is POTUS at the time makes very little difference. Our military doesn’t have to cause destruction all over the globe to be strong and respected.

10. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I think you're directing your anger in the wrong direction. Remember, the military acts on behalf of the Commander in Chief. Many join the military for countless of reasons, however, in the end it's by choice and will always be.

With that being said, I understand and I agree with your points. Do you have a case? Probably not. Unfortunately this war that we're fighting is one of ideology. Boots on the ground and carpet bombings are not going to solve this problem and until everyone understands this, terrorism, specifically Islamic terrorism, isn't going anywhere and in fact causes the reverse affect.

11. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I know you did this to start a discussion, and it is an interesting point, but you titled this thread with a question and then dismiss those who give the answer that opposes your viewpoint. Why not just make it a statement?
    I guess my answer would be that you couldn't sue "the military" but could maybe try suing the United States government.

12. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

No. The military is immune from suit as long as they are following the lawful orders of the civilian command structure.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So when a president issues an illegal order who takes the fall?

14. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

Do you have a specific illegal order in mind? Because I can't think of one, and I have more time in uniform (and combat) than you do. No offense.

15. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I think I also should have said "we" instead of "I" in the title, but I can't figure out how to change the title. Clearly this is a class action lawsuit situation.

As far as those opposing my viewpoint, they are pretty much saying "Good luck with that". Its absurd that an entity that dishes out death on a grand scale as it's main purpose can't be held to account or punished for abusing that power.

As far as the POTUS being the ultimate authority and one to blame, exactly how many administrations of different ideologies who react the exact same way as far as the military is concerned do we have to go through before we realize its the military manipulating the POTUS.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I'm talking in general terms. If a president issues an illegal military action and it's followed through who would be held accountable for casualties. How many people would be held responsible.

17. 0007776 Suspended

Your problem is you would have to prove that we are in more danger because of our military actions. Just because you can find person A who says they were radicalized because of a US bombing campaign doesn't mean that without US involvement person B wouldn't have been radicalized instead leaving us at the same point. The problems in the Middle East go back well before the US was involved, the Ottoman Empire was able to keep them under the surface, but they existed even then. Europe's meddling in the collapse of the Ottomans after WWI was what brought most of them to the surface.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2017 ---
    Theoretically you could have a trial like the Nuremberg trials, realistically unless the US lost a war and was invaded no one would actually be held to account, only the losing side faces consequences in war.

18. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

All -

Before this goes any further, please read Fed. R. Civ. P. 8 and 12; note particularly 12(b)(1) and 12(b)(6). You might also review case law on standing. Then please provide the statutory authority on which you think you might sue. To save everyone time, none exists.

19. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

The only such incident happened because the CIA created a monster(Al Queada), the state department baited another (Saddam) and the military failed to see the bigger picture (staying on the arabian peninsula).

The idea that the US would be under constant attack if it's militray would just be securing the borders and politics stopped meddling is far beyond absurd....

20. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Also if a foreign power did what we are doing in the middle east on American soil you would see a level of American “savages” that makes ISIS look like the peace corp.

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That's complete crap. If you cared about US servicemen, you wouldn't want to see them sent into unnecessary conflicts.

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The US has the benefit of oceans it'd be next to impossible to invade the US mainland. People are getting war weary every time we seem to wrap things up some politician finds another boogeyman that needs our attention. We've been in essence fighting the same war for 16 years depleting our forces while others strengthen the military needs a reset and Americans need to focus on more important things right now.

23. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Where in my post did I say I wanted to see them sent into unecessary conflicts? They don't have any control over where they are sent, that doesn't mean I don't respect them any less. The folks in suits sitting in air conditioned offices in Washington on the other hand are a different story

24. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

really so no one is suing him right now?