Can I swap a 1.5 Core Solo into my 2.33 Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TucsonAZ, Dec 1, 2011.

1. TucsonAZ macrumors newbie

I have a 17" Macbook Pro that's kinda beat up and having issues with not charging even after pram/vram reset and so on. I have been trying to sell this thing for a fair price and people still won't pay much for it, it works fine when plugged into the wall but why have a laptop in that case. I also have a 1.5ghz Mac Mini that could use some upgrading so my question is, can I switch the 320 gig hd and 2.33ghz CPU from the MBP into the Mini and the 1.5ghz and 60 gig hd into the MBP and still have two working machines? This would allow me to justify the price hit I'm going to take on the MBP (battery expanded and beat the MBP up some).

Thank you all!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. You can't, those components are soldered to the logicboard and not removable/replaceable.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The hard drive, yes. But not the CPU. The Macbook Pro's CPU is soldered in and cannot be removed.

4. jdreier macrumors member

Have you replaced the battery on your macbook pro?

I had similar problems a while ago with my 2007 macbook pro. Turned out the battery was the culprit. Replaced it and everything was fine.

I'm actually now on my 3rd battery, and it only holds a charge for not so long. It is a cheapo ebay non oem one though.

5. TucsonAZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, you guys rock with the quick responses! I know I can pull the CPU on the Mini but the one on the MBP is soldered down? The 2.33ghz Core 2 Duo on say a Dell isn't soldered down. That sucks!

Yeah, I replaced the battery and it ran fine off the battery until the charge on it died but it won't recharge it.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Some mobile CPU's are soldered to the boards. I know a few of my Dell's are and some of my HP's are not. All depends on the designer(s).

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

I think it's also a question of space - if it's soldered the logic board can be thinner than if it was using the socket.