Can I switch off the new way Safari 5 auto-fills web addresses?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cujimmy, Aug 2, 2010.

1. cujimmy macrumors member

Cos it's very annoying!

I used to type "fo" and it would automatically fill in the rest to make forums.macrumors.com

By typing "M" it would auto fill macrumors.com

By typing "sp" it would fill in the rest to make spy.macrumors.com

Now it doesn't matter what I type it always fills in the address to take me to spy.macrumors.com.

How can I turn off this annoying "feature"?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. cujimmy thread starter macrumors member

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is the point:

5. cujimmy thread starter macrumors member

Nah. Too much trouble. I prefer the post-a-new-thread-and-wait-for-answers approach.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, it's not a suggestion. It's a Forum Rule:

7. cujimmy thread starter macrumors member

8. mstrze macrumors 68000

He may not be, but you are pretty much guaranteeing that you won't get good help in the future. :mad:

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, since you're new here, I've tried to give helpful hints as to how to successfully operate in the forum, without insulting you or berating you. If you have the attitude that you don't care about the forum rules or those who try to help, you'll meet them soon enough. :rolleyes:

10. cujimmy thread starter macrumors member

Indeed I do not.

11. IronLogik macrumors 6502

lol.... awesome. Some people on here as so anal about the rules... nice to see someone not play along

12. cujimmy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks IronLogik. Between you and me, I did search (admittedly not using Mroogle) and couldn't find anything but, like you, I hate people that do the whole "If you search instead of starting a new thread" etc. etc. and GGJ Studios is easily one of the worst.

I'll never understand why it bothers people so much - unless they personally are paying for the increased hosting costs.

13. RoninXI macrumors regular

Because it is annoying seeing the same thing over and over again. It also makes searching harder because you don't know which thread has the answer.

Please keep up the attitude it would be great to just have you and your IP banned so we don't have to deal with you any more.

14. cujimmy thread starter macrumors member

I've been banned many times but it makes no difference - I keep coming back and there's nothing MacRumours can do about it! (and I'll be back after I'm banned again in 3... 2... 1...)

PS I'm moving house next wednesday so, if there is some sort of IP address blocking thing, it'll have changed then, so I'll STILL be able to come back! Ha ha haaaaa!!

15. NJuul macrumors 6502

It would be very nice if people that post a link to another similar thread, implying "the answer is there, if you search", would also post that actually the 57 posts long "thread with the answer", doesn't really have any answers.
    :rolleyes:

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The answer IS there because there IS no answer, as that thread reveals. You won't create an answer by starting repetitive threads on a topic that has already been discussed and found to have no resolution at this time.

17. NJuul macrumors 6502

I see your point, but I still spent 15 minutes going through all the posts in the hope that someone had an answer, before finally realizing that it was not so.
    If you had simply stated: no solution so far, I and probably others wouldn't have wasted our time.
    If you take the time to search the forums for similar threads, so that you can tell posters to stop posting new threads, then at least also post the answer when it is as clear as "no solution so far". Remember that you are not only answering the OP, but a lot of other forum users that have an interest in the same topic, but just leave no posts. To them (us), saying that "the answer is here" while it is not (don't argue), is probably as annoying as repetitive threads are to you.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not telling anyone to stop posting new threads. I simply post a link to a relevant thread, as the Forum Rules recommend:
    That doesn't mean I have to re-type the thread for you. If you don't want to take time to read, that's your choice. The whole point of posting a link to an existing thread is so we don't have to keep typing the same responses over and over again.