Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactouros

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
Depends on the terms of your current contract if you have one, and I think it also depends on whether the iPhone is AT&T or Verizon.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Virgin Mobile is using Sprint's network. To have an "unlocked" phone, i assume you have a GSM phone? Therefore, I do not believe it would work for you.

Would be interesting to see if a Sprint 4S would work on Virgin.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Virgin Mobile is using Sprint's network. To have an "unlocked" phone, i assume you have a GSM phone? Therefore, I do not believe it would work for you.

Would be interesting to see if a Sprint 4S would work on Virgin.

No way. That is what I hate about CDMA phones.

Michael

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2012
Just FYI guys, but there is now a way to unlock a CDMA iPhone for U.S. GSM use. I'm running a Verizon 4s on a Straight Talk SIM card right now. It's called Gevey Ultra S, and it actually works. Only caveat is you have to be jailbroken because the unlock requires a Cydia app to complete.

But I'd like to know too - what network can a Verizon iphone work on, without being unlocked? Only Verizon? Or any CDMA network?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
But I'd like to know too - what network can a Verizon iphone work on, without being unlocked? Only Verizon? Or any CDMA network?

Technically a CDMA phone should be able to work on any (compatible) CDMA network, but it's the policy of (all?) CDMA carriers in the US to NOT allow customers to register a device that they didn't sell on their network.

There's no actual difference between an iPhone 4S sold by Verizon, Sprint or AT&T.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2012
Technically a CDMA phone should be able to work on any (compatible) CDMA network, but it's the policy of (all?) CDMA carriers in the US to NOT allow customers to register a device that they didn't sell on their network.

There's no actual difference between an iPhone 4S sold by Verizon, Sprint or AT&T.

Right. I was just curious if I ever wanted to switch from Straight Talk with my Verizon 4s to something else, what my options would be. Using the Gevey unlock, I guess I could go anywhere, but without it I could only do Verizon.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone)

Sunsean said:
Just FYI guys, but there is now a way to unlock a CDMA iPhone for U.S. GSM use. I'm running a Verizon 4s on a Straight Talk SIM card right now. It's called Gevey Ultra S, and it actually works. Only caveat is you have to be jailbroken because the unlock requires a Cydia app to complete.

Unlocked CDMA can work on any CDMA network. However, that is fairly redundant as only the US (and a carrier in South Korea) use CDMA network. Everywhere else it is GSM.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

KTF

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
New York City

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrfICP9pguo
To Be Honest I Dont Know What Is This Flashed Thing!

caromartinezx3

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
Question

So can i make a sprint iphone 4s work with a virgin mobile plan?

----------

No, you have an unlocked GSM iphone 4.
Its not CDMA compatible and will only work with GSM networks.
VM is CDMA.

can i make a sprint iphone 4 or 4s work with virgin mobile?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
So can i make a sprint iphone 4s work with a virgin mobile plan?

----------

can i make a sprint iphone 4 or 4s work with virgin mobile?

No, as mentioned before, the CDMA carriers in the US don't allow it (by policy).

It would be technically possible to do it, but they don't allow it.

Why?

Some would say that it's to discourage people switching to a different network.

Others say that it's about the additional support burden.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
All iPhone 4S's are "world phones." The hardware in every 4S is the same regardless of carrier.

However, if you buy an unlocked iPhone 4S, the CDMA side is not activated and cannot be activated by any known means. Therefore, you cannot bring an unlocked 4S to Virgin Mobile, a CDMA carrier.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

MetroPCS allows "foreign" phones but only supports specific models, and an iPhone isn't one of them. Of course, this doesn't help with VM!

ashleyz8708

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2013

Sunsean I was thinking of trading my evil v 4g for an Iphone but I'm kind of confused with all the information online... Could u help me figure this out?

dlbott

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2013
sunsean

My mom is handing down her iphone 4s to me and would like to get it to work on straighttalk, would like information on how to do it. I guess I would also need info on how to jailbreak it.

Is there no message system here... can you provide link or email to correspond

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.