Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I'm going away next week for a fortnight and obviously won't be taking my desktop with me. I'll have my MacBook Pro with me though which will have several movies loaded on it. If I connect my iPad to the MacBook Pro, can I avoid having to sync it with it and instead just copy movies over? Obviously the iPad can only store so many videos and I'd like to load a different set for the flight back.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I'm going away next week for a fortnight and obviously won't be taking my desktop with me. I'll have my MacBook Pro with me though which will have several movies loaded on it. If I connect my iPad to the MacBook Pro, can I avoid having to sync it with it and instead just copy movies over? Obviously the iPad can only store so many videos and I'd like to load a different set for the flight back.

The easiest way to do this would be to use a different app for video playback. There are workarounds if you want to use Apple's video app, but they're just a pain, IMHO.

If you have (or get) an app like AVPlayerHD, or even something like GoodReader, you can easily load movies over wifi from any computer, and you can easily delete the movies locally, too. You won't have the nice movie poster view, but it's a pretty small price to pay for substantially more flexibility with loading/moving/watching your movies.

HTH.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Thanks Snowy, that's a really good point, I didn't think of that! I already have and use AirSharing Pro, that should do the trick I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.