Can I switch videos on my iPad when away from the computer it is synced to?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Spanky Deluxe, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'm going away next week for a fortnight and obviously won't be taking my desktop with me. I'll have my MacBook Pro with me though which will have several movies loaded on it. If I connect my iPad to the MacBook Pro, can I avoid having to sync it with it and instead just copy movies over? Obviously the iPad can only store so many videos and I'd like to load a different set for the flight back.

2. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

The easiest way to do this would be to use a different app for video playback. There are workarounds if you want to use Apple's video app, but they're just a pain, IMHO.

If you have (or get) an app like AVPlayerHD, or even something like GoodReader, you can easily load movies over wifi from any computer, and you can easily delete the movies locally, too. You won't have the nice movie poster view, but it's a pretty small price to pay for substantially more flexibility with loading/moving/watching your movies.

HTH.

3. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Thanks Snowy, that's a really good point, I didn't think of that! I already have and use AirSharing Pro, that should do the trick I think.