Can I Sync my Palm Desktop with my 'new' Blackberry 8830 ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by christoxo, Feb 20, 2010.

1. christoxo macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm hoping there is a way to sync my Palm Desktop contacts & calendar with my recently acquired 8830. The Palm Desktop 4.2.1 is on my MacBook Pro core duo 2.16 running OS X 10.5.8 . Will I need to first export my Palm info to another program on my mac? Any suggestions or links to precise instructions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Christo

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

This covers the options, which are essentially;
    1. Do it via Outlook sync (Palm -> Outlook> Blackberry
    2. Do it via export to CSV and import from CSV
    3. Use a third party program

Over the years, moving to and from multiple Palms and other devices (currently on Palm but likely moving to iPhone later this year), I've found issues with (1) and ended up using (2) and various (3) - problem with (2) is that it wont take across objects like photos, just plain data.

I also found this step by step guide, which AFAICS pointlessly goes Palm -> CSV -> Outlook (not Outlook Express) -> BBerry , seems to me its likely you can go Palm -> CSV -> BBerry ... i'd be amazed if you cant import from a CSV into BBerry. But it has some detail in there that might be useful to you as you wanted step by step instructions

FWIW I have never ever had any luck with calendar data via CSV or third party, I always had to re-enter manually or go via my corporate calendar sync.

3. christoxo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Tumbleweed

Maybe I'm too tired and sleep deprived; I can't seem to remember or figure out what CSV stands for?

Christo

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Comma Separated Values - such as "John, Smith, 14 Acacia Drive, Sometown, UK, 515-123-456" etc, each value separated by a comma.

I'd have expected it to be an option on the export but I have just fired up Palm Desktop on my Mac and "tab/return" is there but not CSV (it is there on PC) , just means a tab character instead of a comma, so instead of CSV you'd choose that, then if bbery wont import that format (very unlikely), instead import into a spreadsheet , then import from the spreadsheet into bberry - for example I have just tested Mac Palm Desktop export to tab/return format and then import into Numbers spreadsheet, it works fine.

5. christoxo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Tumbleweed

'I'd have expected it to be an option on the export but I have just fired up Palm Desktop on my Mac and "tab/return" is there but not CSV (it is there on PC) , just means a tab character instead of a comma, so instead of CSV you'd choose that, then if bbery wont import that format (very unlikely), instead import into a spreadsheet , then import from the spreadsheet into bberry - for example I have just tested Mac Palm Desktop export to tab/return format and then import into Numbers spreadsheet, it works fine."

I don't see away to tell Blackberry where to import from.

When you tested Mac Palm Desktop export to tab/return, to where did you export before you imported into Numbers spreadsheet?

What is numbers spreadsheet? Is it Excel?

I'm beginning to wonder if I made a mistake getting a Blackberry and whether I would be better off to look for a Palm phone (it's got to be on Verizon cause that's the only service where I'm moving) that might sync with Palm Desktop on my mac.

Christo

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Just a head's up, the Palm Pre Plus syncs with a cloud, not the normal Palm desktop like the older Treos, unless you use a 3rd party solution. You could export your Palm data to Outlook and then upload that to the Palm/Google cloud to sync your data to Pre Plus.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2348291,00.asp <--- Has some good info just as an example.