Can I take apart my iphone and put the 16b chip in?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EmptyPockets, Feb 6, 2008.

1. EmptyPockets macrumors regular

Well can I? Is it possible to get a 16GB flash "chip" and switch it? What are the complications involved?

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

im not sure but im interested to see peoples replies so im posting here

3. mashinhead macrumors 68020

in theory yes. but i think it is soldered on so no. unless you have that skill.

4. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Short answer - No.

Long Answer...

First you have to get the right chips - most so easy with OEMs snapping up all the supply (and Apple will get bulk rates where as you will not).

Then you need all the right equipment - a fully equipped microelectronics lab would have most of what is needed I suppose.

You would have to unsolder the existing chips - not easy with surface mounted components... Then you would have to solder on the new chips (tricky operation that manufacturers let robot manufacturing systems perform), and not damage anything else in the process. And do it all right first time (debugging where you went wrong would be a nightmare).

That assumes that the new iPhone logic board has not been modified to take the new chips in some way. If it has - you are probably out of luck and this isn't going to work.

Then there is the question of whether there are any firmware changes required to make it work (if you have an iPhone that works at all by this stage).

In short - such an upgrade would be so expensive in time and equipment that you are better off just buying a 16GB iPhone.

5. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

so what ur saying is that its possible:D

6. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

It's complicated. Maybe if you have a good equipment (macro solder, magnifying glass, solder sucker, etc.)- its possible.

Look inside the iphone:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/iphone-review.ars/14

My 2 cents.

7. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

No,
    but I'd be willing to purchase a used 8GB phone if the price is right!

8. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

I dont think the rewards (only doubling your space) are worth the risks of screwing up your iphone.

Do you really need that much space?

9. EmptyPockets thread starter macrumors regular

Just wondering!

I have 2-3GB left at all time anyway :D

10. O3DigitalBath macrumors newbie

well with that thought there would be no one with a unlocked firmware...

was it worth it for them to risk "bricking" their phone for just "double the apps"?

some people are good with electronics and would like to try. plus the 16gb chip is cheaper than a whole phone, so someone with a 4gb might want try try some hardware swaping if its a possible solution for them.

I know i'd consider swaping my 8gb chip out for a 32gb if I found it to be possible.